Emerging tech categories expected to surpass half a trillion in combined value by the...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: The combined market value of three emerging tech categories is expected to exceed half a trillion dollars in less than five years. International Data Corporation (IDC) said the total value of wearables, smart home devices and augmented / virtual reality headsets is forecasted to reach $369.6 billion by the end of this year and $524.9 billion by the end of 2025.

IDC noted that each product category has matured beyond early adopter status over the past decade and into the mass market. What’s more, all are expected to benefit from a larger selection of devices, lower price points and improved user experiences in the near term.

IDC experts weighted in with commentary on each category.

Ramon T. Llamas, research director for the firm’s wearables team, said when wearables first arrived on the scene, many (myself included) wondered if they would be more than a passing fad. “Years later, wearables have earned a spot in consumers' minds as well on as their bodies, performing a number of functions ranging from health and fitness to communications to multimedia consumption,” Llamas added.

The continued popularity of earwear and smartwatches will be key to this category’s extended success, led by strong user demand, constant replacement cycles and in the case of smartwatches, new actionable insights.

Adam Wright, a senior research analyst with IDC's smart home and office devices team, noted that the underlying driving force behind the smart home devices category is services. He believes that as device margins shrink, the role of such products will largely be relegated to vehicles for delivering services.

The promise of enhanced entertainment, convenience, safety and security are paramount in the smart home sector, but concerns about privacy and security could hinder the category’s outlook, as will upfront and ongoing costs associated with devices and services.

In the AR / VR department, we’re seeing strong growth from both consumer and commercial buyers. Tom Mainelli, group VP for IDC's AR and VR team, said they anticipate both categories of devices to grow as new use cases present themselves and more major tech companies enter the space.

IDC believes this category has the potential for the fastest value growth in the coming years. In particular, IDC said it will be interesting to see how the experience evolves from consuming and interacting with content to connecting with other devices and having seamless experiences at home and work.

Images courtesy Bence Boros, Pixabay, Bruno Bueno

Permalink to story.

Oh right, you mean like the dot com explosion in the 90s? I'm sure all those businesses and specially the investors made infinite amounts of money and there was no setbacks like a major crash due to over-hyping something just because it's ".com" right?

Come on that's just not sustainable if you think about it even a little bit.

The problem with smart home will be the services. Either to expensive or utterly useless. The products themselves can be $100 or more. Then add on services every month. For most, I don't think it's sustainable. The world already has 10 different streaming services just to watch a damn show. At say $10 a month, you now want to add to that with another service. I don't see the majority doing it. Sure it may make money but being sustainable, just don't see it.

Oh right, you mean like the dot com explosion in the 90s? I'm sure all those businesses and specially the investors made infinite amounts of money and there was no setbacks like a major crash due to over-hyping something just because it's ".com" right?

Come on that's just not sustainable if you think about it even a little bit.
And yet, here we are some 30 years later and the Dot Com boom is still going on. Yes, we had a correction in the early 2000s because the original revenue model was flawed. Now we know how to do it better and sure, there will be some setbacks, but there will also be some explosive growth for some startups.

The problem with smart home will be the services. Either to expensive or utterly useless. The products themselves can be $100 or more. Then add on services every month. For most, I don't think it's sustainable. The world already has 10 different streaming services just to watch a damn show. At say $10 a month, you now want to add to that with another service. I don't see the majority doing it. Sure it may make money but being sustainable, just don't see it.
I haven't run into that yet. The only services I use are for alarm system monitoring. All my other smart devices simply connect to an app on my phone. I mean, I could pay for some services for my security cameras but I don't need them. Just like I don't need 10 streaming services.

Some smart products are expensive but most of the stuff I have was under $50. Amazon Echo, Smart dimmers and switches. The alarm system was a couple hundred but that was for the base unit and a dozen sensors. That was a one-time purchase and monitoring services are $25/mo. About half what their competitors wanted.

Mind you, this is a crazy thought but .... what would happen to that market if the government suddenly decided that, as part of the green initiative, every household would see an "allotment" of power that would severely limit the ability to power all these "toys"? Not saying it will happen, but if there is a strong push away from fossil fuel sources and there will be a notable time before enough wind/solar/nuclear can come on board to re-balance the needs, it would certainly have a considerable impact.

The concept of smart homes and smart offices have always been a solution in search of a problem. I sort of witnessed it first hand, since I have worked for a company that developed solutions in these areas, a long time ago.

Who knows, it might become a fad in the following years, but I have my doubts it will last.

Mind you, this is a crazy thought but .... what would happen to that market if the government suddenly decided that, as part of the green initiative, every household would see an "allotment" of power that would severely limit the ability to power all these "toys"? Not saying it will happen, but if there is a strong push away from fossil fuel sources and there will be a notable time before enough wind/solar/nuclear can come on board to re-balance the needs, it would certainly have a considerable impact.
That would probably result in some very unpleasant incidents. I don't think this will happen because of the potential backlash from the public. What they will do is tax the crap out of everyone in order to fund the building of all this new infrastructure. They will make it expensive to drive an ICE vehicle at some point and then ban them from certain areas to force people into mass transit or electric vehicles.

The concept of smart homes and smart offices have always been a solution in search of a problem. I sort of witnessed it first hand, since I have worked for a company that developed solutions in these areas, a long time ago.

Who knows, it might become a fad in the following years, but I have my doubts it will last.
I have implemented some smart devices in my Condo in WA State and my house in AZ. It's very useful to monitor and adjust temperatures remotely, check alarm system status, lock and unlock the front door, and view cameras for any unusual situations. For my AZ home, I recently realized I need to add a couple exterior cams to complete my setup.And APS down here gives me discounts to adjust my Nest thermostats (which is perfect because it's summer and I'm not there).

I have found lots of basic uses for my devices. I really like that while climbing into bed I see the kitchen lights are still on I can simply tell Alexa to turn them off.

Back