Enso launches $155 Android tablet, zenPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Most tablets introduced in recent months have been relatively powerful and inherently expensive, but Enso has rolled out wallet-friendly alternative. The Android 1.6-based zenPad starts at a paltry $155, and has modest but seemingly adequate specs for basic use.

The zenPad features a five-inch, 800x480 LED-backlit screen, a 667MHz Samsung 6410 processor, 256MB of DDR RAM, 8GB of storage via microSD (supports up to 32GB), built-in Wi-Fi, and promises six hours of battery life. For $25 the slate can be outfitted with GPS, and another $35 will get you an external 3G dongle.

Granted, you won't be watching Avatar in HD, but for mobile Web browsing, emailing, or accessing documents, photos, and music, it's a low-cost solution. The zenPad is packed with earbuds as well as a stylus, and it's available to penny-pinchers everywhere through Enso's site or eBay (which seems to be a bit cheaper).

Permalink to story.

only $25 extra for GPS? Man, does anyone know if there is a good GPS enabled mapping/directions application for Android that doesn't rely on an internet connection? Most standalone GPS devices are more then this, and seem to offer much less flexibility. This really fits the bill of what i have been looking for!

Slap an Apple logo on this and they could raise the price by more then double, AND sell probably twice more units.

wow! that really is an impressive price if you add the 3G dongle and GPS!!! very very impressive! I've this funny feeling that apple may have won a big market share in smart phones and portable music but i don't think they're going to get the same for tablets.

burty117 said:
wow! that really is an impressive price if you add the 3G dongle and GPS!!! very very impressive! I've this funny feeling that apple may have won a big market share in smart phones and portable music but i don't think they're going to get the same for tablets.

Well at least other manufactures are not going to let them stand unchallenged for any length of time. Apple really needs to bring their A game for the their OS 4.0 update or i would agree that they are going to face some issues.

Might have found myself a nice tablet for service manuals, I'm curious how well it handles pdf's and how well the gps works.

This is the type of tablet i was looking for. And the GPS is a nice extra for only 25$. When available in my country i'll buy one. (that's if no other better alternatives exist at that price point)

I still don't understand why they call everything larger than a phone a tablet. I've always associated the word tablet with something about the size of a clipboard. This is pretty small. I have a smartphone, so I'm not going to take this out on the town with me, and when I'm at home, i'm never that far away from a computer.

This form factor will be most useful when using it for media, either video or reading. And a 5 inch screen is just too small for it. Seems like most of the 2010 crop of 'tablets' will be relegated to the same drawer where all our palm pilots sit.

The one time I might be able to use a netbook or tablet is while I'm on the elliptical machine at the gym. At work and home I'll have the PC, and the rest of the time my smartphone.

enso-now*com
No longer a registered user
Positive feedback: 88.9%
Feedback score: 25

Can only buy from their website now.

I ordered one but have not been able to communicate with Enso-Now. I got a payment confirmation but my email's concerning shipping, etc. have gone unanswered. Is this a real company with a product or am I out $240?

I emailed their info@enso-now.com email account, with a reply for my purchase. They said it would ship within a week or two from the day i purchased it so i have about one week left till i get my tracking number, until then i am sitting and waiting. It took them about 36 hours to email me back since the time zone difference being i am in the states. I hope this is not a front...

Please read here:

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1182322

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1182464

I think it is better NOT to send 240$ ?

C from europe

Zenpad scam! Rip off! Dont order! I ordered i never received it! I read about it nobody received it! They collect the money only!
I sent my complain to paypal.
Beware!

Anyone seen these on ebay now?
Google Android 7" Tablet being sold by lifeng sihai
looks like they were selling them before with WinCE5 (blah) but now have them with Android 1.6

going for around $200

Here are the specs for the 7" Android tablet from ebay

Description

Hardware configuration
Performance Description

Processor
CPU600MHz DSP550MHZ

Processor frequency
600MHz

Memory
FAST EPC DDR 128MB

Built-NandFlash
2G NAND FLASH

Expansion of storage devices
TF card, Flash Drives

LCD display
7 "TFT touch screen, 800 × 480

Internet support
WIFI wireless Internet access to support

USB
2XUSB

HDMI
1XHDMI (Optional)

Audio
Built-in stereo speakers 0.5W × 2;Built-in

Battery
1800mAH, 7.4V Li-ion batteries

Power adapter
110 or 240V Input, 9V DC Output, 2A

Product Size
199mm × 127mm × 18mm

Operating system
Google Android 1.6

Games\Applications
Download large quantity of applications and games

Editing tools
QUICKOFFICE

The feature of Google Android:
Browser comes with Flash Lite version 3.1 and supports playback of SWF contents up to Flash 9 and ActionScript 2.0.

Applications:

Attention:If the above mentioned applications are not built-in, they can be downloaded in the Market for free.
As long as you have registered or have a gmail account, by using the Market of Android, you can download large quantity of applications and games without paying.

They say there will be an upgrade to Android 2.1 available for a small fee too....
I just bought one for $198 including shipping....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back