Entire amount of memory not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Compaq Presario2100US laptop (Win XP, Serv. Pack 2) 1.6MHZ. It had 1 stick of PC2100 256MB memory. I ran a scan on the crucial website that showed a max allowable amount of memory of 1GB. I purchased a stick of PC2700 512MB of memory and installed in the open slot. The computer only read the new memory as 256MB. I tried taking out the old memory, but that didn't help. I also looked in the bios, but there isn't a memory setting that can be adjusted.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hello and welcome to TechSpot. :)

Depending on how long ago you bought your new memory, you may be able to RMA it for a new stick. It could also have to do with the fact that you have two different speeds of RAM.

Regards :)

look on the side pf the memory module. look the the numbers 256 or 512 on the sticker. sometimes it will be part of a bigger longer jumble of numbers and letters. you may have got jipped out of the 512 stick

Compacs, they're infamous

Compac computers are nororius for requiring "branded" memory modules. Some mother boards will compensate for different speed RAM. (I'm tyiping this on such a machine (Intel 915GAG Mobo). I can't hurt to try the 512 in the 256's original slot by itself . Can't hurt and it will tell you if the BIOS is capable of recognizing and/or downclocking the PC2700 DIMM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back