Erratic behaviour after improper shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumsterr

I need some serious help with my laptop. I have a hp dv1000 Centrino. Today, as i was watching a video of a band called GB5, it froze. I could hear the videos in parts but then quickly tapped the keyboard to see what would happen. Suddenly the screen goes black and but the keyboard is still on. You can see the the power key on, music, and dvd button. the top ones were all on because it showed a blue light, except that the screen is still black.

Also, the computer has been tellin me that i need more memory because i only had 2% left until i cleaned everything up and it went up to 3%. Could not havin much memory anymore be the issue or is there an additional problem? Someone help me out. i'd appreciate it.

thanks in advance.

No, i've had to hold the power button to shut it off because the screen still wont show. The keys and power button will turn on but the screen wont show. Is this a battery issue or is it somethin more?

If the system sounds like it's booting/running normally and the monitor's status light is green, I'd bet on a defective video card.

what was the memory notification like exactly?
was it about ram or disk space? if it was about ram and your video card works with shared memory - steals video ram from the real ram - then it might just be a memory problem. if it was about disk space you have a second problem but thats one which can be solved easily.
btw what happens if you attach an external screen to the laptop. does it show a black screen as well?

yes, i just attached an external screen to the laptop but it still doesn't show anything. the keys and power icon still turn on but nothing shows with the screen. About disk space, i am bout to get 500gb external harddrive, but because of this problem, i havent. Have i lost any of my important stuff such as videos, music. pictures, etc...?

hum; if you have to force shutdown with the power key, you REALLY need to verify
that the system has not been damaged;
  1. boot into Safe Mode with F8
  2. when you get the chance, run->cmd /k CHKDSK /F
Allow the scan on the next boot and then perform a restart to verify the HD.

Once that runs, Safe Boot again and when you can, run->cmd SFC /SCANNOW

These two tests will correct possible damage and get you on the path to
updating your drivers (the most likely cause of the original failure).

All the data on your HDD should be just fine.

Copy/paste:

If the system sounds like it's booting/running normally and the monitor's status light is green, I'd bet on a defective video card.

all depends where it died -- if while Saving your Settings, you can have major issues!

if there's nothing wrong, then the two tests shown will do no harm.
if there are problems and you ignore them --- lots of luck :(

One of my friend's fixed the prob today. I laughed at myself when he fixed it in a matter of minutes. Turns out, i had tapped the keyboard harder then i thought when the computer froze. When doin this, it moved/misplace the ram stick away from its slot causing my laptop to not turn on. He unscrewed the bottom of the laptop and put the ram sticks back in, and everything turned on fine.

thanks for all your help guys. it was real coo of you all.

God bless!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back