Error installing office

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have used this CD before without any problem. My harddrive died and was replaced. Now when I try and install Office back on my computer I get:

Error D:\PFiles\MSOffice\Office\Excel.exe

please verify that it exists and that you can access it.

Then it only allows me to retry installation (which results in the same error) or quit the installation. Can someone tell me what's wrong and how I can get through/around this problem.

Thanks

What version of windows are you trying to install this on? and what version of office is it?

If it cannot access the file, this is usually due a bad or dirty CD. Try cleaning it first.. Make sure there is no hair, fingerprints or dust on the CD.

If you have a new CD, it is very possible your CD is defective - It happens regularly.

Another possibility is to manually copy the entire CD to your hard drive and install it from a folder. If the entire CD copies, then you know that your CD is readable and it is probably a software issue.

Yes it sounds like the CD has become corrupted somehow. Most likely due to dirt or a scratch where excel.exe lies. It cannot read the file because of the dirt or scratch. Do as Rick said and try cleaning it, if that doesn't work then I'm not sure if it will work to copy to the HDD, but give that a try as well. Post back if both of these options fail.

Cleaned the CD and tried again, nada. Try to Copy to the hard drive, got about a third of the way and stopped said

"can not copy Office1: Data Error: (cyclic redudancy check)"

That was when I tried to copy and paste to the desk top. Is there a more approriate way to try and save to the hard drive?

Try a different cdrom drive, and if that doesn't work, then your CD is trashed. That error definitely points to a corrupt CD. You may have cleaned it, but how badly scratched, or marked, is your disk? You could try polishing it with a fine abrasive solution of some kind.

Originally posted by 2727
"can not copy Office1: Data Error: (cyclic redudancy check)"

A file that has a "bad CRC" is corrupted.

A bad CD may not necessarily be the cause (perhaps a bad CDROM), but your problem is definitely data corruption.

It could have something to do with your IDE drivers, CD firmware or a number of other settings / problems with your computer.

Try the CD in another computer so you can rule out the CD as being the problem. If the CD doesn't work, then the CD (or atleast the data on the CD) is to blame.

If it does work on another system, trying cleaning your CDROM, updating your CDROM firmware and installing the latest IDE / chipset drivers for your motherboard.

Every computer I have had a cyclic redundancy error in was a problem with the CD-Rom drive and the CD. The CD worked fine in other drives, just not that one for some reason. Check your cables in the case.

I've seen similar errors with this before - always resolved by using a different CD Rom drive.

Actually I get this with my stardork (starcraft) cd a lot. Its just too scratched. No matter what the drive.

If nothing else helps, you could also try disabling DMA on the CD-ROM drive and lowering its reading speed (there are some apps for it).

CRC checks are a function of the cdrom drive and are not affected by drivers or other software. A drive with better read capability/error correction, will improve your chances of reading data from a damaged cd. Slowing the read speed of your drive will also help, as will polishing your cd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back