Errr.. netwrok setup prob!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,
Im realy looking forward to find a solution to a network setup in my home.I know just basics of network so please help me out....

k heres the thing :
I got 2 computers COM1 n COM2 and 1 internet ADSL connection connected directly to COM1 using 1 port router.
I want to connect my both computers i.e. COM1 n COM2 together so that they can access data of each other as well as share the internet independently(i.e. dont have to open COM1 in order to acess internet on COM2)
Presently i have made my COM1 server and COM2 client so in order to access internet on COM2 i have to open COM1.

So any1 can please guide me, as to how can i work it out???

by open you mean on (com1)??
you need a switch to add to the single port router
or a multi-port router
check with your isp on the modem may already be a router too
don't want 2 routers or you'll have net issue's

yah inorder to cnct to internet on COM2 i need to open i.e. turn on COM1.

My ISP is running presently on 1 port router i.e. can connect only i Pc with it at a time.
where am supposed to put this switch?

I got a network plan map so that u can understand better but dont know hot to put it up on web:(?[/B]

k heres the web address of the present setup : http://picasaweb.google.com/ThE.tHiRd.eYe.BlinD

First, make sure that the "1-port router" actually is a router and not a modem.

If it indeed is a routing device, then all you need is an ethernet switch or a hub to put between the router and the computers.

do search for network switch 4 port and same with ebay
need a cheapo hub PM me
limited amount to give away free to techspot members just need shipping costs
hubs are slower than switches I am out of extra switches right now

k thanks yeah sure its a router right now.
so what i understand is that i simply need to conect swicth/hub with the router???and from this hub/switch i conect to internet from both COM1 and COM2 right???

if i got it right then can i tranfer the data and access the hard disks between these computers too????

something like that
remember switch is faster than a hub
switchs should be very cheap now even on your end ??

yes switches are alot cheaper now.

just 2 small lil quiries :
1) what changes do i need if i replace the router with a modem??is a netwrok-setup still possible???

2)If i replace my single port router with multi port router will it be a beter idea then adding a switch to the netwrok???beacause in both case i need to buy new hardware device.....so which 1 would u suggest???buyin a multi port router or adding a switch to exisiting netwrok setup with single port router?

You need a routing device to share an internet connection. If you replace your current router with a plain modem, you need another router.

A switch will Just Work. It's cheap and all you have to do is connect the cables.

A new router would be more expensive and you'd have to set it up (and pray that it actually works with your service provider). You could get yourself a wireless router and gain wireless access as a bonus though. A modem would probably be needed too, either built into the new router or separate.

I would also learn some English if I were you. Posts in gibberish usually get ignored.

ok its just the way i write in short when i am online.but now with your comments on it will use only pure english!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back