Windows XP Pro - Wonky Internet

This is an old problem but it's new to me.

The Windows XP Professional OS on my computer got corrupted so I ran the Windows XP setup disk, formatted the partition and installed Windows XP. I used to build computers for clients and myself so I have installed Windows XP many times. This last installation did not appear to be any different but it was. The internet adapter is installed with no problems. I have network connection with 5 other computers ranging from my home to my shop 150 feet north of my home (range extender). The problem is that I just barely have internet. I managed to download Google Chrome so I know that there was or is an internet connection but it is very poor and unreliable. If I enter yahoo.com then up pops yahoo.com but if I try to open one of the links then it fails and the error page is displayed. I have installed Windows XP 3 times today and my determination is waning. What do I need to do in order to get the Internet up and running? I'm desperate because that is the computer that I run my $15,000.00 CAD/CAM program on.

Ron

This is an old problem but it's new to me.

The Windows XP Professional OS on my computer got corrupted so I ran the Windows XP setup disk, formatted the partition and installed Windows XP. I used to build computers for clients and myself so I have installed Windows XP many times. This last installation did not appear to be any different but it was. The internet adapter is installed with no problems.

Ron

This is what I am concerned about, did you let windows xp install its own generic drivers for it ?
Or did you actually go out on the internet and find the correct drivers for it ?

Use this tool to find info about the motherboard.
After so find the recent-stable drivers for it.
Anything else or some kind of work around trick will usually fail down the road.

This is what I am concerned about, did you let windows xp install its own generic drivers for it ?2019
Or did you actually go out on the internet and find the correct drivers for it ?

Use this tool to find info about the motherboard.
After so find the recent-stable drivers for it.
Anything else or some kind of work around trick will usually fail down the road.

I have 5 identical machines and I have installed XP many times and on every install the machine booted with with an internet connection and normal browsing. That was not the case on the recent install. I have a network connection, I can connect to the internet and I can browse if I don't mind playing games. I get clock error messages when the time zone and the time are correct. I get "Your Connection Is Not Private" but I can click on advanced and continue to the site unsafe.

Everybody including an ISP tech agent tells me that my OS is 15+ years old and my browser is out of date. It's like they never heard me when I tell them that I have XP machines that have normal browsing. I told the ISP tech to call me back in 15 minutes and when he called I had one of the other XP machines ready for him to take control of it. When he saw eBay.com open with graphics and no error message he told me that he would have a field tech come out and check my cable connection. That was stupid because all of the 5 XP machines are connected to the internet through the same router and modem.

The last XP machine was built Thanksgiving, 2019 and it booted with an internet connection and normal browsing. In other words it had not had any Windows updates that accounted for the normal browsing. The XP machine with the browsing problem opens eBay.com in a text only page and any link that I click on opens another text only page. If I was to do a fresh install of Windows XP on one of the other XP machines then I have no doubt that it would have the same problem that I'm currently stuck with.

The other XP machines didn't needed an update for normal browsing at the first boot but they apparently got an update that enables them to continue to browse without errors. I ran Windows update on the XP machine with the problem and that solved nothing. All that it would take to cause this problem is internet security changes that occurred after I built the last XP machine and Microsoft discontinuing the update that enables XP machines to have normal browsing. There comes a time when a person has to accept that they are up against matters that they control and that's where I'm at.

I thank all of you that provided input for my quest for help.

Debug TCP first, then look at browsers

use PING n.n.n.n for basic transport test
use PING DOMAIN_NAME for DNS test

both ok w/o timeout says your TCP is just fine

Get selection of browser installs { Firefox, Chrome, Opera, IE 11}

pick a site (hmm; Techspot.com ? Facebook.com ?) and access/browse with each browser

report back

Get off ie8, install Firefox esr 52 it's the last version with XP support but it still works, use it on my xp gaming box incase I need the internet.

I had two XP machines sitting side by side. Both machines had the OS installed from the same disk.

Machine #1 was built Thanksgiving 2019. It has normal browsing

Machine #2 required a fresh install of Windows XP Professional. It now has wonky browsing. There are errors that can be blown off by clicking on advance and continue unsafe. When the page loads it is 100% text. Lack of graphics is clearly a security issue. Other sites say that my clock is ahead and that error cannot be dismissed. There's nothing wrong with my time zone, time and date.

Connclusion:

Machine #1 received updates that kept it current with internet security as changes were implemented.

Machine #2 has had Windows updates out the WAZOO and it still has wonky browsing. That can only be due to Microsoft discontinuing the updates that made machine #1 current with internet security.

Solution:

I installed Windows 7 Professional 32 bit.

Success:

NONE ! Because Windows 32 bit along with my computer does not support Virtual Machine/XP mode. I was planning on running my XP dependent $15,000.00 CAD/CAM program in the virtual machine.

Next:

Reinstall Windows XP Professional and use the network to transfer files to a slave machine with Windows 7 Professional 32 bit so that I send files to customers. It's either that or try cloning the hard drive in the machine with normal browsing.

Ron

I get clock error messages when the time zone and the time are correct. I get "Your Connection Is Not Private" but I can click on advanced and continue to the site unsafe.
those are related to your browser, not the OS

So how do you explain two machines with same OS and version of Chrome and one machine has no browser problem? There is only one logical explanation and that is microsoft is no longer providing the updates that enables the trouble free XP machine to have normal browsing.

The OS has internet options that is totally independent from the browser. Uninstall all of the browsers and there will still be Internet Options - Shortcut.lnk in the control panel. All of the internet security files and settings are in that group. Browsers might set the rules but if the OS cannot comply then there will be problems like I was experiencing. I was going to clone a drive but it won't be much longer before none of the XP machines will be compliant. I snagged a free copy of Windows 7 Professional so I'll use that obsolete OS and it will probably get me to the box.

Ron

You have to actively seek out what works for you with XP. I have it running fine self standing and also as a virtual OS in Windows 10. Suitable AV and browsers can be a pain though. If you haven't done so yet Slimjet browser is worth trying.

Back