Essential Apps to Install on your Windows PC or Mac

Old as it may be, dissing Winamp is just absurd - Windows doesn't include anything remotely adequate for audiophiles (if it did you wouldn't need be mentioning garbage like VLC). Winamp still does many things better than anything that came after it, and I include programs that can actually support Winamp plugins.

Last edited:
K-Lite Codec Pack is missing, in A/V or OS Add-Ons... for me it's recommended for all kind of videos playback codecs and for MP Classic install. Not sure if it's legal or not, but for me it's mandatory when formatting or installing Windows :)
He does mention some forms of MPC, which is good - literally nothing else even comes close in terms of usability.

MPC is mentioned in the article.
I didn't notice either at first read but I searched and there they were...sorry about that. Awesome, I don't even know what I'd do without those two, as imperfect as TB sometimes can be. I wish Evolution was still being developed for Windows.

I didn't notice either at first read but I searched and there they were...sorry about that. Awesome, I don't even know what I'd do without those two, as imperfect as TB sometimes can be. I wish Evolution was still being developed for Windows.
No problem. I removed Thunderbird's name from my comment and then deleted the comment after you removed those names from your comment.

I use FreeCommander on my work machine for some file handling tasks. I didn't see it mentioned here.

I also use GitExtensions, How come there isn't a development section in this ?

K-Lite Codec Pack is missing, in A/V or OS Add-Ons... for me it's recommended for all kind of videos playback codecs and for MP Classic install. Not sure if it's legal or not, but for me it's mandatory when formatting or installing Windows :)
Damn that takes me back. I haven't had to download codecs since probably Vista.

Last edited:
Old as it may be, dissing Winamp is just absurd - Windows doesn't include anything remotely adequate for audiophiles (if it did you wouldn't need be mentioning garbage like VLC). Winamp still does many things better than anything that came after it, and I include programs that can actually support Winamp plugins.
To make it easy, the best version of Winamp:
http://www.oldversion.com/windows/download/winamp-2-95

I would add a DIY could software: Resilio Sync. Just need a phone with enough storage (or a 128GB high endurance SDcard) to have 100GB+ of subscription-free could storage - for best practices leave the cloud phone on the guest network at a friend's house or at work.

It's the first I'm hearing of freeoffice. is it any good? just downloaded it to check it out. so far I'm impressed with the UI. but I haven't explored compatibility and features.

I love libreoffice, in fact I've been using them alongside ms office for more than a decade since the days of openoffice. but I have to admit most people especially basic users who don't use advanced formulas and whatnot really struggles using libreoffice. even with the updated " tabbed ribbon".

Techspot recommending Spotify? Now that’s not very woke of them. They have allowed Joe Rogan to host guests that challenge Pfizer’s narrative! Didn’t you know, discourse, free speech and scrutiny is morally reprehensible in this day and age.

This comment is sponsored by Pfizer.

Ninite website has been a very good starting point for the last several PCs I setup. Allows you to quickly download multiple applications at once. For example just set up my newest PC with 11 applications all downloaded and installed at once.

Why not move on to AIMP already? That with the classic (Pandemic) skin works great with the same old familiar interface. It does have some plugins, but I guess I'm not sure what you'd want.

Video: MPC-HC
Music: Foobar2000/Tidal
Storage/Office: Office365 family + OneDrive
Browser: Edge

Add Directory Report to your list
It shows the folder size like WinDirStat (but faster),
Multiple file rename,
Finds duplicate files and duplicate directories,
Multiple file change date,
Synchronize and compare two directories

I was using it and GPU acceleration with MPC for years. Then I found Potplayer. It does everything with a lot less hassle. MPC was great when most players weren't supporting a lot of codecs or GPU acceleration, but they've caught up and my MPC days are over...

I switched over to the Brave browser a few months ago. No need to install a bunch of different ad blockers to knock down ads, pop ups, auto start videos & easy to white list sites such as techspot.

My wife prefers Lightworks for video editing over Resolve. Says it is easier for her to use. I use Premiere Pro myself... and Resolve for special case uses. But she refuses to part with the free version of Lightworks.

Back