Europe is investigating Microsoft for antitrust law breach with Teams & Office bundle

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
What just happened? Margrethe Vestager, Executive Vice President of the European Commission and European Commissioner for Competition, is targeting Microsoft with a formal investigation for potential breach of Europe's antitrust rules. The US corporation is accused of abusing its market dominance over the office productivity business.

After a "truce" which lasted more than a decade, the European Commission is once again probing Microsoft for unfair and monopolistic business practices. The cloud and AI corporation is seemingly back to its old nasty behaviors towards competitors, trying to crush third-party companies by exploiting unfair advantages like bundling Teams with the Office 365 productivity cloud service.

Video conferencing applications achieved a spectacular popularity level during the COVID-19 pandemic, and Teams rose from 2 million users registered in the first year (2017) to 270 million users by the end of 2022. In 2020, Slack (now owned by Salesforce) filed a complaint with the European Commission, accusing Microsoft of forcing Teams installation on Office 365 subscribers as a way to boost the tool's popularity.

Three years later, the EU is now ready to conduct an official probe. Vestager says that remote communication and collaboration tools like Teams have become indispensable for many businesses in Europe, therefore the EU must ensure that they "remain competitive" and companies are still free to choose whatever collaboration tool they want to install and use.

Microsoft's proposed solution to Brussels, a halt to the forced installation of Teams with Office 365 subscriptions but only in European countries, wasn't enough to convince EU authorities to avoid the antitrust investigation. Redmond now states that the company takes its own responsibilities "very seriously," and that it will continue to cooperate with the Commission anyway.

The Commission, however, could be eventually forced to conclude its investigation with a new, hefty fine against Microsoft. In 2009, the EU charged Redmond for its anticompetitive practice with Internet Explorer tied to the Windows OS, and four years later Brussels was forced to impose a €561 million fine because the US corporation wasn't fulfilling its duty.

Furthermore, Slack isn't the only organization asking the EU to act against the new monopolistic itch Microsoft is exposing to the whole technology world. A new complaint against Teams integration with Office 365 came just last week, by a German company selling videoconferencing software known as Alfaview. In the past decade, Microsoft has been fined €2.2 billion for breaching Europe's competition rules.

Permalink to story.

To Microsoft this is just the cost of doing business. Their services end up winning, no matter their quality, and after ten years of antitrust litigation the market is already so entrenched into new product microsoft foisted on its existing user base that competitors can’t arise naturally at that point anyway.

Honestly curious what the findings will be. I always saw slack as mainly a communication tool, whereas I saw Teams more as a collaboration app with chat functionality that currently has the best Office/sharepoint integration.

Considering MS OS desktop dominates 72%, nothing much will happen. The EU may find out one day that it's very lonely out there if they continue to push Tech Company's buttons.

Last edited:
Considering MS OS desktop dominates 72%, nothing much will happen. The EU may find out one day that it's very lonely out there if they continue to push Tech Company's buttons.
I might be wrong but, isn't the EU bigger than America? I get it probably isn't as powerful but I bet it's one of Microsoft's bigger money makers.

Also, America's justice system seems to completely fail at using their own Anti-Trust and anti-monopoly laws. The EU seem to be one of the rare ones actually trying to do their job.

I might be wrong but, isn't the EU bigger than America? I get it probably isn't as powerful but I bet it's one of Microsoft's bigger money makers.

Also, America's justice system seems to completely fail at using their own Anti-Trust and anti-monopoly laws. The EU seem to be one of the rare ones actually trying to do their job.
the EU have 100M more ppl than in the US... yea, a bigger market, nothing like asia tho

EU might be more motivated because big business is less effective at controlling government decisions. Lobbying by vested interests isn't the norm over here.

EU might be more motivated because big business is less effective at controlling government decisions. Lobbying by vested interests isn't the norm over here.
Unsure on the EU in what I'm about to say, what I can say about the UK government is that. Lobbying definitely exists, it's just labelled differently. It's all "gifts" you see.

Was in the news quite recently, as an MP in the UK gave one of their advisors tickets to a big football game, front row seats and all. When they were questioned about it, it was a "gift" from a big tabacco company.

Just a "gift" all harmless, I'm sure it didn't sway the way he voted at all...

Back