European Parliament opposes 'mass surveillance,' calls for a ban on facial recognition...

Polycount

Staff
Privacy: Facial recognition is a hot-button topic throughout the world. Despite widespread opposition from civil rights groups and global governments, companies like Amazon and Clearview continue to develop the tech and attempt to sell it off to law enforcement agencies and other interested parties. However, those companies may have a bit of trouble pawning their goods in the EU, if European Parliament's latest calls are heeded by lawmakers.

European Parliament (EP) MEPs have officially called for a "permanent ban" on the use of automated facial recognition technologies in "public spaces." European citizens, they say, should only be monitored when they're a suspect of a crime. "Predictive policing," as well as "social scoring systems" like those found in China, are also on the chopping block.

MEPs feel these technologies can lead to discrimination and the disproportionate misidentification of minorities, women, seniors, and members of the LGBT community. All algorithms, the EP claims, should be "transparent, traceable, and sufficiently documented," and should use open-source software whenever possible to further those goals.

Furthermore, the MEPs want private facial recognition databases, such as those operated by Clearview AI, to be banned.

This resolution was adopted by 377 MEPs, with 248 voting against it and 62 abstaining entirely.

To be clear, this resolution is not binding. Not yet. It's more of a statement of intent and desire -- the next step is for members of the European Commission to discuss the matter and potentially propose a bill that targets the MEPs' concerns.

It's good to see even major global organizations like the EP seek a solution to the problem of rampant AI-powered facial recognition technologies, which have as of yet been developed largely unchecked. When considering how, or if this tech should be rolled out to the world, privacy and respect for citizens' basic rights should be core focus points, and it sounds like Parliament agrees there.

Masthead credit: Lianhao Qu

Permalink to story.

Along with those glasses that can photograph you in public it's a great idea! We have enough intrusion in our everyday lives ....

No matter what PR is being put out, there always tend to be exceptions to the rule that lets certain agencies do what we cannot do.

Amazing news. I am sure it will hurt the emotions of US politicians. But if we support and share stories like this - It is great for all/

Tbf facial technology to know who a citizen is a good thing. How many crimes would stop because it would be so much easier to catch and identify someone.

So, Windows 11 will be banned in EU??

Doesn't W11 require a camera on each computer, so it can use facial recognition to unlock your computer. Bye bye W11.

No matter what PR is being put out, there always tend to be exceptions to the rule that lets certain agencies do what we cannot do.
I usually find extra rules that only apply to me are made up for whatever reason & and look back these are some of the worst events of life. No legislation was ever passed, no tariff exists, others should as a quote in the bible altho I no longer being a very religious person that I was at one time "take the plank out of your eye before you take the speck out of mine, etc. These corrupt people making invalid rules somehow ge the authorities to follow them, companies to do childish things that can actually put them out of existence if I didn't ignore/forgive/press charges. It doesn't often happen but they can be murderers seeming to want my other's lives to actually end they're so blind. Might be a very frustrated love/hate. Hail Allah, the God of anger

Doesn't W11 require a camera on each computer, so it can use facial recognition to unlock your computer. Bye bye W11.
Looks to be a feature-specific requirement.
Intelligent Video Conferencing: requires video camera, microphone, and speaker (audio output)
Mute and unmute: from Taskbar requires video camera, microphone, and speaker (audio output). App must be compatible with feature to enable global mute/unmute.
Microsoft Teams: requires video camera, microphone, and speaker (audio output).
Windows Hello: requires a camera configured for near infrared (IR) imaging or fingerprint reader for biometric authentication. Devices without biometric sensors can use Windows Hello with a PIN or portable Microsoft compatible security key.
If you are not using one of those four features. I see no reason why Windows 11 would require a camera.

Looks to be a feature-specific requirement.

If you are not using one of those four features. I see no reason why Windows 11 would require a camera.

For the same reason why almost every Android app requires access to your microphone, camera, location, contacts, storage and messaging. Even if it's something as simple as reminder. Oh, yeah. So it can spy on you and sell the info to like 5000 different companies.

Back