EVGA Nvidia 7800GS - DVI to HDMI sound

Tedster

I have an old computer which I am converting into a media system. It has a EVGA NVIDIA 7800GS card (AGP) which I am connecting a DVI to HDMI cable. Will this support sound through the DVI to HDMI cable or am I stuck with computer speaker sound from the computer audio port?

no, the sound will not be carried through the DVI connection. if you were using a direct HDMI output on the card it would work (if the sound had audio processing) but only the video will be carried (i.e. DVI does not support sound)

thanks - that's what I was afraid of, but I can live with that. The media computer will be in my bedroom and the computer speakers are close to the bed, so I should be ok. It's a fairly decent computer speaker setup with a sub-woofer. I would have preferred the sound to go to my plasma TV, but oh well... it beats buying a new graphics card for an old system. Not worth it. I have a newer computer with a HDMI card in another bedroom which I stream netflix to.

I have that same card :) You can still send the sound to the TV though, just run a line from the sound card to the TV with appropriate ends for each.

Unfortunately, the computer is quite far from the TV. I am already running a 12 ft dvi to hdmi cable and I really don't want to run another sound cable. I would have to split the audio also between computer speakers and the tv if I did. Since I move a lot due to my job, perhaps the next move I will locate the TV closer to the computer.

I've been surfing the net and have found there are some cases were audio is transmitted over a DVI to HDMI conversion. (but not a straight DVI to DVI). This will be an interesting case.

Back