Ex-Google recruiter claims he was fired for speaking out against "illegal" pro-diversity...

midian182

Staff member

Silicon Valley companies often face criticism for the lack of diversity in their workforces, but one former YouTube employee says Google fired him for complaining about its hiring policies, which allegedly discriminated against white, Asian, and male candidates. He has now filed a lawsuit against the company for wrongful termination.

According to Bloomberg, Arne Wilberg worked at Google for nine years as both an employee and contractor. He spent seven of these years as a recruiter for YouTube, where he selected engineering and tech worker candidates.

The lawsuit, filed in January in California's San Mateo County Superior Court, alleges that Wilberg took his concerns about the company’s hiring practices to human resources; a decision that led to his termination in November 2017.

According to the suit, Wilberg’s manager, Allison Alogna, told staff to cancel interviews with Level 3 software engineers (those with 0-5 years’ experience) if they were not female, black, or Hispanic. It’s also alleged that management deleted emails and other digital records of diversity requirements last year. Wilberg called the hiring practices “illegal and discriminatory.”

Google said that it intends to“vigorously defend this lawsuit.”

"We have a clear policy to hire candidates based on their merit, not their identity," the company said in a statement. "At the same time, we unapologetically try to find a diverse pool of qualified candidates for open roles, as this helps us hire the best people, improve our culture, and build better products," the company said, in a statement.

Wilberg’s suit was filed in the same month that another fired Google worker, James Damore, sued the company for allegedly discriminating against conservative white men, who he claims are “ostracized, belittled, and punished.” Damore was fired last August for writing a 10-page manifesto titled “Google’s Ideological Echo Chamber.”

Permalink to story.

", we unapologetically try to find a diverse pool of qualified candidates for open roles, as this helps us hire the best people, improve our culture, and build better products"

I would love to see the study where diversity makes better products than experience, skills and education. If this is true we can end all education and just mix all the people in the world.

Funny thing is: I've never seen a really competent individual being discriminated. Ever.
Whatever the color, gender or god knows what are the other diversity check boxes these people demand.

This whole identity politics shenanigans won't last another year. People are sick and tired of this.

Funny thing is: I've never seen a really competent individual being discriminated. Ever.
Whatever the color, gender or god knows what are the other diversity check boxes these people demand.

This whole identity politics shenanigans won't last another year. People are sick and tired of this.

Not only will it last, it will intensify. SJWs double down when people get tired of their games.

>The Alphabet unit had “irrefutable policies, memorialized in writing and consistently implemented in practice, of systematically discriminating in favor job applicants who are Hispanic, African American, or female, and against Caucasian and Asian men,” according to the complaint filed in state court in Redwood City, California.

>YouTube is being sued by former employee Arne Wilberg because of its diversity-oriented hiring practices. “Last spring, YouTube recruiters were allegedly instructed to cancel interviews with applicants who weren’t female, black or Hispanic,” the Journal reports, “and to ‘purge entirely’ the applications of people who didn’t fit those categories.”

>Wilberg said that in 2016 and 2017, he and his fellow recruiters were told on several occasions to approve or dismiss job candidates based solely on whether they were women, black or Latino.

>In March 2017, a YouTube staffing manager emailed recruiters and told them, “Please continue with L3 [level three] candidates in process and only accept new L3 candidates that are from historically underrepresented groups.” In another email, the same manager wrote, “We should only consider L3s from our underrepresented groups.”

Sounds like he has a case. Also sounds like Google was a hostile workplace for white and asian males.

In my humble opinion, forced diversity HURTS products and companies. When you are FORCED to hire people solely based on their skin color or gender, it limits your ability to hire the best people for the position.

"According to the suit, Wilberg’s manager, Allison Alogna, told staff to cancel interviews with Level 3 software engineers (those with 0-5 years’ experience) if they were not female, black, or Hispanic."

I can attest to being pressured into finding minority females.

But the reality is, there is so much regional disparity when it comes to exposing young women to STEM that there is literally no way for them to catch up.

The reality of the situation is that some economic systems and cultural conditioning is designed to create permanent underclasses.

They want to women to basically "stay home barefoot and pregnant".

They want minority kids to continue to occupy low-service-sector jobs so that they can't and don't compete with wealthier/ affluent kids.

After all, who will wait on the Wall Street execs at the nearby Starbucks and restaurants?

The only way to solve these situations in a fairer and more equitable manner is to improve access within the public school systems to the level afforded the wealthier kids by the private schools.

If I had the coding exposure some of these teenagers have I coulda made millions off of app building.

15-year-old Ann Makosinski created a flashlight powered purely by body heat.

The only way to solve these situations in a fairer and more equitable manner is to improve access within the public school systems to the level afforded the wealthier kids by the private schools.

Except the problems start long before children enter public schools.

Except the problems start long before children enter public schools.

Chicken before the egg?

Poverty, child illegitimacy, divorce, impoverished families. That's all a cycle.

America was at its best during WW2 because the entire country was working towards a goal. the automotive industry and unions created stable employment and stable families that slowly started to decline as we moved away from plentiful/ flexible work. Giving factories to Asia in exchange for manufactured goods at the hands of Asian slave labor - and the fattening of a few corporate exec pockets.

Detroit and Flint used to be beautiful.

Take away their opportunity, their school's ability to discipline them and their parent's opportunities to actually be home to teach them/overwatch them and yeah - you get a catastrophe.

Please keep us informed how this case plays out. This is a situation where society's current ideals, the realistic actuality, and corporate self-preservation are all swirling together in a roiling play.

Diversity should not be addressed by Employers and Companies. Diversity should be addressed by individuals themselves, by making sure they are qualified enough to work in places where they believe needs diversity.

Diversity quotas are stupid. They hurt those who trained enough to qualify themselves, but pertain to an specific cultural group, for the sake of looking good in the public eye (SJW specifically).

Culture/race/gender should in no way be a requirement for any job (be it in benefit of minorities or majorities). Any hiring process should analyze nothing but merit.

"The only way to solve these situations in a fairer and more equitable manner is to improve access within the public school systems to the level afforded the wealthier kids by the private schools."

Right, because every successful adult went to private school.

/triple facepalm

Are there workplaces that occasionally discriminate against certain demographic groups? You bet. For example, try being a male and getting a job in day care, or being white and getting hired at a Chinese restaurant. I totally believe in diversity. We need more female sanitation workers, coal miners and dock workers. Only two male nurses out of 80 at the local hospital? Clearly that glass ceiling has got to go!

"The only way to solve these situations in a fairer and more equitable manner is to improve access within the public school systems to the level afforded the wealthier kids by the private schools."

/triple facepalm

Are there workplaces that occasionally discriminate against certain demographic groups? You bet. For example, try being a male and getting a job in day care, or being white and getting hired at a Chinese restaurant. I totally believe in diversity. We need more female sanitation workers, coal miners and dock workers. Only two male nurses out of 80 at the local hospital? Clearly that glass ceiling has got to go!
I have to agree with you - stereotyping pigeon holes filled with a lack of diversity. I've got another one for you - try being male and getting a job as a secretary.

Do people think that just because they haven't seen a qualified person discriminated against, that it doesn't happen? lol

I've known many people including myself who've dealt with it. A lot of times it's the person who's doing the interview that has something negative afterwards after you're gone while being all smiles during the interview. the person in charge of actually processing the paperwork and getting you hired will tell it all. People have lost their jobs because they even told about it going on.

Now people only seem to understand when they're the ones being exuded in favor of minorities from big companies? While dumb, it's also a complete reversal of the bs that has gone on for much longer

No one's forcing this guy to work for Google. If he doesn't like their hiring policies he should go work someplace else.

Isn't that the standard right-wing response to disgruntled employees demanding their employer changes the way they do business?

/triple facepalm

That quick reply was absolutely ridiculous.

Try being a White male and working in a Chinese restaurant for the wages that they pay their workers.

Men don't apply to or bother trying to work in day care. They tend to seek secondary education positions.

I don't think I need you replying to my comments.

Funny, not one post to mention Nepotism, which runs rampant, in these big corps with the great paying career jobs,look at the whitehouse ffs.for one such example. and any Union.

I fully support gender equality, if someone else be it female or minority,can do my job ,have at it..I just love looking at my set up supervisor ,and asking what my job is today,just to see the look on their face.:confused:

Funny, not one post to mention Nepotism, which runs rampant, in these big corps with the great paying career jobs,look at the whitehouse ffs.for one such example. and any Union.

I fully support gender equality, if someone else be it female or minority,can do my job ,have at it..I just love looking at my set up supervisor ,and asking what my job is today,just to see the look on their face.:confused:

Nepotism is unavoidable. But nepotism tends to happen in government/civil service jobs rather than corporations simply because corporations don't tolerate dead weight. It cuts into their bottom line.

Perfect example: Trump has his whole family eating off tax dollars in the White House.

Meanwhile you don't see top-level CEP hiring their best friends and family unless they are highly skilled.

True Story: I myself am a CEO and I REFUSE to hire family members and people I think aren't good for my business.

I've been burned before.

Helped people get into positions that I felt they were good for - only to see them lean back on the shovel and fail.

Never again.

But as for this issue: it's just as bad hiring someone for their gender as it is hiring them for their race or ethnicity or creed or religion.

Back