Explainer: What is SSD Trimming?

The latest update to the Steam Deck added TRIM support for the NVMe SSD built into it. Can even be run manually from the settings menu.

Always good to re-read up on this stuff to refresh my knowledge, Great little article!

I don't allow my boot ssd/nvme to sleep (Power Options) so TRIM and GC can do their thing whenever they can.

BEFORE running a TRIM you should clean your drive first. I use ccleaner and Windows disk clean-up before a manual TRIM.

Great and detailed article!

BEFORE running a TRIM you should clean your drive first. I use ccleaner and Windows disk clean-up before a manual TRIM.

Great and detailed article!

Spawn open a command prompt,

Type "CD %temp%" without ""

Type "Del *.* /f /s /q" without ""

Hit "Exit"

Then run your trim.

Spawn open a command prompt,

Type "CD %temp%" without ""

Type "Del *.* /f /s /q" without ""

Hit "Exit"

Then run your trim.
I mean nice advice, but you can also just go to the TEMP folder itself - by typing %TEMP% in either your start menu or explorer address bar - and delete everything yourself. The Windows disk cleanup utility also clears much (though not all) of what's in that folder. In most cases it's better to have users at least do things in a way that let them see and hopefully understand what they're doing, rather than flying blind with terminal prompts.

I mean nice advice, but you can also just go to the TEMP folder itself - by typing %TEMP% in either your start menu or explorer address bar - and delete everything yourself. The Windows disk cleanup utility also clears much (though not all) of what's in that folder. In most cases it's better to have users at least do things in a way that let them see and hopefully understand what they're doing, rather than flying blind with terminal prompts.

Standard, "Hidden files" being hidden. Thats why.

Raid can have trim if it's software based raid (linux lvm, windows dynamic disk, etc.) done operating system.
If the ssds are in external enclosure, it must be set as jbod so the trim commands is received by the ssd

Back