External HD does not show up anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznn3rd

It has been 6 months since I got a Prestige 500GB Iomega External Desktop HardDrive which requires both a printer USB cable and a wall charger. One day it randomly stops working and doesn't show up on my computer.

The Hard Drive sounds right, but it is no where on the computer: not in device manager or disk management. I contacted Iomega, and they sent me another power supply which does not work either. Suggestions?

When you say the drive sounds alright can you feel it starting up or hear it? There is a possibility the partition was damaged or deleted. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe if the partition is damaged or the space is unallocated you may not see it under Disk Management. You can try putting in an OS Install disc and seeing if it shows the drive when trying to install. Then delete the partition and reformat (If you can handle losing the data) otherwise I recommend Active Recovery Partition Software.

This is their link http://www.partition-recovery.com/

See [post=744411]USB Device Problems? Check for Windows Updates[/post]
>> Are you running XP? Be sure to note the very first KB in the list and follow directions to remove your upper and lower disk filters
See [post=752196]How to Check Hardware / Connection Issues with your USB Device[/post]

Also See [post=720762]Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive[/post] to help verify yes/no if your USB Mass Storage and Disk drivers appear in Disk Management.

Then please report back we can go from there

When I power up the drive, the initial sounds seem normal as if it was working properly. I have tried numerous USB cables on many different computers with no change. I read though your trobuleshooting guide, but it doesn't seem to help. I believe something is wrong with the hard drive itself. I heard other people say that the actual hard drive works, just that the frame got fried. Is there anyway to replace the frame and leave the actual hard drive intact?

1) It might well be an issue of disk works but not the enclosure
2) btw.. does your current drive come with an AC adapter? and have you been plugging it in?
3) You can buy a new external hard drive enclosure at your local computer store (i also advise buying one that also comes w/its own AC adapter)
4) If, in fact, it's the disk itself that's going bad note the "freezer" trick many report has worked long enough to let them at least get their data off a bad HD

/* EDIT */
And before anything else, do try the partition/data recovery tools (as someone posted for you above) or any of the ones in my Guide. Sometimes is just a matter of corruption and these data tools can recovery the corrupted data/files system on the drive

I'm a little confused. How can I recover info on a drive that is not detected at all by my computer?

Windows may not recognize your drive because the partition is damaged. Using Active Recovery Partition software (link in previous post) the software will allow you to repair your partition thus allowing Windows to recognize the drive once again.

I'm a little confused. How can I recover info on a drive that is not detected at all by my computer?

OK. Here's the important thing to check on yours (and double check on another computer as well). Here;s the thought: Getting a USB disk drive working under Windows actually occurs in several consecutive steps:
  1. Windows detects that a USB device is plugged into the computer
  2. Windows determines the USB device class (in this case USB Mass Storage) and loads a USB driver (in this case a USB Mass Storage driver)
  3. Windows next detect which TYPE of USB Mass Storage and in this case it's a disk device
  4. Windows next loads a disk device driver and does it;s thing to talk to the USB disk device and map the logical volume and data into windows
So you need to check closely if Steps 1 and/or 2 are occuring (as we know step3 and beyond don't happen. if no sign of steps 1 let alone 2 then you're right. It's a failed drive. And if Windows can't even detect the USB hardware connection all you can do is open the drive and remove the physical disk to try it in a new enclosure and hope for the best.

To check for Steps 1 and 2: You get the sound affect of USB device connected? Look in Device Manager. Do you see a USB Mass Storage driver appear? Or in dev mgr do you see any devices appear under category Other Devices?

Hi - can I sneak in? I have an external 500gb SATA drive in a USB enclosure. 'Safely Remove Hardware' etc only sees a 'Disk Drive' as does Device Manager. So I fail step 4 above. Partition-Recovery does not see the drive at all. Is there anything else I could try? TKIA

hi Riley50

just have a minute here.... so for your case a couple quick things to try
1. Remove your upper and lower disk filters from the registry. If you run XP, see this. If you run Vista, you should be able to google and find similar instructions. Or i can find it for (but much later in the day)

2. Virus/Malware are another reason that might cause this See here for Virus/Malware Removal Instructions. Again, can take a closer look at your issues later but do try these two as well.

/* EDIT */
Also
See [post=744411]USB Device Problems? Check for Windows Updates[/post]
See [post=752196]How to Check Hardware / Connection Issues with your USB Device[/post]
See [post=727106]How to use the DriveCleanupTool[/post]

OK. Here's the important thing to check on yours (and double check on another computer as well). Here;s the thought: Getting a USB disk drive working under Windows actually occurs in several consecutive steps:
  1. Windows detects that a USB device is plugged into the computer
  2. Windows determines the USB device class (in this case USB Mass Storage) and loads a USB driver (in this case a USB Mass Storage driver)
  3. Windows next detect which TYPE of USB Mass Storage and in this case it's a disk device
  4. Windows next loads a disk device driver and does it;s thing to talk to the USB disk device and map the logical volume and data into windows
So you need to check closely if Steps 1 and/or 2 are occuring (as we know step3 and beyond don't happen. if no sign of steps 1 let alone 2 then you're right. It's a failed drive. And if Windows can't even detect the USB hardware connection all you can do is open the drive and remove the physical disk to try it in a new enclosure and hope for the best.

To check for Steps 1 and 2: You get the sound affect of USB device connected? Look in Device Manager. Do you see a USB Mass Storage driver appear? Or in dev mgr do you see any devices appear under category Other Devices?
Unfortunately, the USB is not even detected as plugged into the computer. And when I tried running the Recovery software, it did not detect anything either. I guess my only choice is to get a new enclosure.

Do you have any advice on how to do that?

as to an external enclosure, i'd be certain whatever you get it has its own AC adapter/power supply (don't rely on USB ports for all the power)

Otherwise, sound like it may be best to simply take your Iomega drive with you to a local computer store/retailer and just buy an enclosure that matches the hard drive (enclosures i think will generally run 35-50USD. You might also check on their return policy as if it still doesn't work you can probably return the enclosure within 30 days (but do check on return policies)

Hi - can I sneak in? I have an external 500gb SATA drive in a USB enclosure. 'Safely Remove Hardware' etc only sees a 'Disk Drive' as does Device Manager. So I fail step 4 above. Partition-Recovery does not see the drive at all. Is there anything else I could try? TKIA
Have you checked the links provided in other posts in the thread also?
>> Specifically as to running Windows updates, and troubleshooting it by plugging into ports on different computers, trying different cables, etc. AND do you have it plugged in with its own AC adapter or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back