External HDD mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a WD My Passport Elite 500GB external drive which until last Saturday was working great.

While shutting down the laptop it was connected to (due to MS "updates") my son pulled the plug on the Passport. His babysitter plugged it back in and told me that the screen showed some "error message".

Now I am not able to access the files on the drive, Windows doesn't recognize the drive and when I use data recovery software I get "Error 27 in HD129..." message.

Also, the Get Data Back software now says that this is a 2TB drive! I wish, but I'd rather have my files and only have 500GB..

Any suggestions other than packing it in a box and sending it back on an RMA?

I appreciate any help you all can offer.

Bill

I doubt RMA would cover it, the sudden power loss has screwed the drives partition table no doubt,

Which recovery software did you use, it may be a case of using disk managament to wipe the drive and recreate the partitions on it, however you will lose your files.

It might be easier to say which one didn't I try! Any Found Data, Disk Digger, HDD Recovery, Get Data Back, Smart Partition Recovery, Retrieve Lost Data, just to name a few.

Many of the programs I tried didn't even find the Passport, so there was a lot of frustration after reading all the hype of what the programs claimed to be able to do.

Thanks for the help!

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back