External ssd

chrisarvor

I was thinking of adding an external ssd to put my main game on it Pubg so it runs solely on its own
is it as simple as plugging in Usb and loading the game ???
as you can see I am a pc *****
thanks in advance
I have hdd 1 tb inel core i3 4150 3.50ghz

Yes, it would be as simple as that, but why not just add an internal SSD and install games on that?

Yes, it would be as simple as that, but why not just add an internal SSD and install games on that?

well I thought I would have to change too many things??? extra cables etc I thought I read I would have to go into bios!!! whatever that is ???? scarey for an ole fart like me thanks for the reply

It's easy to do, but obviously not as easy as just plugging an external drive into a USB port. You shouldn't need to go into the BIOS but even if you have to, that's not a problem these days either.

A couple of quick questions: do you know what motherboard is inside your PC? How many hard drives do you currently have installed? What budget are you aiming for with the extra PC?

If you're not sure of the answer to the first one, download CPU-Z from here:

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

It's tiny, free program that tells you about your CPU, motherboard and RAM. Just select the purple button that says "Setup - English" on the left, in the link above. Download and run the file, then start up CPU-Z. One of the tabs is labelled Mainboard and it should tell you your motherboard make and model there.

ASRock B85M-DGS with an i3-4150 3,50 ghz
1 hard drive 1 1TB
budget ??? same size minimum 1TB
thanks for the info

Sorry, I should have been more specific - by budget, I meant how much did you want to spend, financially, all in?

Your motherboard has four SATA3 ports and one is already taken by your current hard drive; do you have anything like a DVD drive or a multimedia card system using the others? Hopefully, you have 1 SATA port free, and the space you need inside the PC case to install the hard drive.

Hi
Thanks for the replies
I bought an external Samsung 1TB
and transferred my game to it after fumbling around for an hour or so
wasnt sure if it had gone onto the ssd but unplugged it and it stops so all good the game has lost some niggles so I am happy I guess I will look at other things to trade up
Thanks neeyik

Good choice - Samsung make, in my humble opinion, the best SSDs full stop. Glad to hear that the game is running better too. Maybe some people will read this thread and think about going external too.

When you're ready to do so more upgrading, fire your questions our way :)

Back