Extra IDE slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredericklee

HI

I have already used up 2 of my IDE slot that come with my mobo. I have a extra IDE HDD and is there any way to put an extra 1 or 2 IDE slot?

If there is, I like to the average price for this hardware?

Thanks

You need an extra PCI ide controller card. Promise (and others) makes them. An ATA100 version is around € 30 and an ATA133 version is about € 75.

How well do these cards work?? They can't work as well as the ide controllers on the motherboard. Does anyone have them?

Originally posted by fredericklee
HI

I have already used up 2 of my IDE slot that come with my mobo. I have a extra IDE HDD and is there any way to put an extra 1 or 2 IDE slot?

Thanks

You should stick with an ATA-100 one, it is my understanding, an ATA-133 device is not backwards compatable with ATA-100 or 66. I also would stick with Promise or Adaptec.

Re: Re: Extra IDE slot

Originally posted by boeingfixer
You should stick with an ATA-100 one, it is my understanding, an ATA-133 device is not backwards compatable with ATA-100 or 66. I also would stick with Promise or Adaptec.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong...
ATA - 133 is quite backwards compatible, so it's the best thing to get... (You can check the "whitepaper" here about half way down... (under the pic))

Phatman> They work just as good, if not better than the onboard IDE controllers... The PCI bus gives more than enough bandwidth for the controllers... (SCSI is faster than IDE (even ATA - 133) and most SCSI controllers are of the PCI flavour...)

.02$

Re: Re: Re: Extra IDE slot

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi

I'm sorry, but you are wrong...
ATA - 133 is quite backwards compatible, so it's the best thing to get... (You can check the "whitepaper" here about half way down... (under the pic))

.02$

Mr. G,

I wish you wouldn't have told me that. I was going to get a motherboard that supported it when I bought my Giga-byte but was told that it was not. I know the person who told me and trusted his comments, now I guess it was my fault for not looking any further into it. Sigh, I just bought two new drives for my raid and bought ATA-100 cause I was told ATA-133 would not work with ATA-100 drives...anyway, thanks for the info, now the next board I get WILL be ATA-133 !!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Extra IDE slot

Originally posted by boeingfixer
I just bought two new drives for my raid and bought ATA-100 cause I was told ATA-133 would not work with ATA-100 drives...anyway, thanks for the info, now the next board I get WILL be ATA-133 !!

All in all, you aren't missing much. ATA-133 doesn't improve over ATA-100 that much, if at all. Here is some logic about that at amdmb.com:

http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=151

I would still beat the guy who told you that. Why can't people just say "I don't know?" My board has 4 ATA133 ports (for 8 devices) and it works just great with my ATA100 drives.

LNCPapa

Originally posted by fredericklee
HI

Thanks
Something to check before you add anything, is the psu up to it.
do you have enough, reserve capapcity for another card, drive (and fan, if temps are close to boardline)?
Also do you need the extra drive space? or are you just adding it because you have it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back