F-Secure Anti-Virus 2004 not without problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealBlackStuff

Yesterday I installed the (bought) F-Secure Anti-Virus 2004.
It installed without any hitch and the automatic update functioned perfectly. However, none of the Help-buttons work. There is a xxx.hlp file and there are loads of xxx.htm files (presumably also help), but none of them work.

I run Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro V2.0 and Pegasus V4.12a email, and here is another snag which I have not yet figured out.
Outpost and Pegasus were running perfectly before with other AV-programs (Norton and the free AVG), but after installing F-Secure AV the Outpost firewall wants to create new rules for Pegasus (even though it had them already) and then hangs my system while trying to create these rules. Only a reset will bring my PC back to life.
If I want to get my email, I first have to disable Outpost, then run Pegasus (where F-Secure checks the email) and then re-enable Outpost.

I have sent my problem, together with the necessary setup-files to F-Secure, hoping they have a good customer-service. If not, I am still in my 30-day money-back guarantee.

Does anybody have a similar setup? My OS is W2K/SP4

Hmmm, veddy interesting...On Win XP, Sp2, what with all the praise I read hereabout in this Forum about F-Secure being a hot app. I foolishly downloaded and installed the dang thing and it crashed my entire system in under 30 minutes! Then it froze my entire system so tight I thought I'd been transported to the outer reaches of Siberia.

Mercifully, I was able, after two attempts, to get into Safe Mode and do a backup Restore and now everything is just fine and F-secure can go wherever Fs go...

So much for that.

FSAV 2004 is a brand new product and noone here has commented on it until now. All tests and praises were about the previous generation (FSAV2003 or FSAV for workstations 5.xx). As I understand F-Secure has made a complete overhaul of its antivirus system and has also switched scanning engines with its new product line.

And why are you complaining about low level apps not working properly with XP SP2?

I personally use the workstation version 5.41 and I am not planning to change to anything else in the near future.

Nodsu, looks like you are mixing up mine and Crybabytek's messages.
I want to continue to run Outpost and Pegasus on Windows 2000/SP4 together with a good AV. If FSAV2004 interferes with my established programs and the Help-function does not even work, I don't want it.

Crybabytek's install crashed his XP/SP2 where SP2 is still in beta, so maybe that caused his problems.

I replied mostly to Crybabytek. If I had replied to you I would have used the quoting feature.

I never got an answer from F-Secure, with the consequence that I have uninstalled FSAV-2004 and I am asking for my money back.

I toddled over to Kaspersky, where I found and downloaded their latest Beta-version V5 which comes with a trial-key for 3 months. Sofar I like what I got and everything is working fine (keep my arms, legs, fingers etc. crossed). If anything worthwhile comes up, I'll report in a new thread.

For those who are interested:

I sent my problem to F-Secure together with all sorts of info.
This was their answer:
With reference to the problems you are experiencing with F-secure
internet security, the first thing I notice is that you are running a
firewall along with the firewall which is included with FS Internet
security, this is definately not advisable as we cannot guarantee
interoperatability when running alongside another application which
performs the same task, whether it be AV tools or a personal firewall.

As for the Libra AV engine, I can assure you that the idea of using users
as guinea pigs is simply not true, we dont release software until it is
thoroughly tested.

I hope this has helped to resolve the issue you are having with the
firewall, if you have any further questions then please dont hesitate to
contact us again.

My answer to them:
Dear Mr. Roantree,
Thank you for your email.
However, you did not even give me a hint on how to solve the basic problem I was having with your program. The Help-function is of no HELP because it does NOT function from anywhere inside the program.
Furthermore, I did not buy your package with the built-in firewall, which you call F-Secure Internet Security 2004, but just the standard F-Secure Anti-Virus 2004, because I already have a professional firewall (Agnitum Outpost Pro V2).
If there is supposed to be a firewall inside FSAV-2004, why is there no screen anywhere to adjust any settings? And why is there no mentioning of that firewall anywhere on your website-pages that deal with FSAV-2004?
There is not supposed to be any firewall in there, so I am not expecting any actions from your program in that respect.
Also, the Backweb-application that comes with FSAV creates immense amounts of messages in my PC's event-log.

Because of FSAV-2004's interference with my firewall and email- program, and its non-working help-function, I have uninstalled it and I have asked your selling agents Element 5 for a refund.

I am grossly disappointed after all the good press that I read, which caused me to change from Norton to F-Secure, because your software is supposed to be the best.
A pity that I cannot agree with that.

This morning I got confirmation that my purchase-price had been refunded, but no further comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back