Facebook admits to "unintentionally" uploading 1.5 million new users' email contacts without...

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Facebook has again been hit with another privacy scandal. The company says it “unintentionally” uploaded the email contacts of 1.5 million users without their permission when they signed up to the social media site.

The revelation comes after a security researcher discovered Facebook was asking some new signups to enter the passwords for their emails accounts as a way of verifying their identities.

Business Insider yesterday reported that some of those who did enter their passwords were presented with a popup informing them that their contacts were being imported—without asking for permission.

Before May 2016, new Facebook users were asked if they wanted to verify their identity using their email account. They were also asked if they wanted to upload their address books. Facebook claims it changed the feature and removed the text stating the contact information was being uploaded, but the underlying code that performed this task accidentally remained.

Facebook said it stopped offering the email password verification option a month ago. It is now deleting the uploaded contacts and over the coming days will be notifying the 1.5 million users whose address books were imported.

A company spokesperson told Business Insider reporter Rob Price that the scraped contacts were used to recommend friends to users and improve ads on the network.

This is just the latest case of Facebook taking a lax approach to user privacy and data. Last month, it admitted to storing hundreds of millions of user passwords in plain text, and this is despite Mark Zuckerberg's promise of a “privacy-focused” future.

Permalink to story.

"It is now deleting the uploaded contacts"

If something was digitally stored, it is there forever. So, they are going through ALL of their backups as well? And all of the third party sites they sold them to? How about all of the emails they have been scanning through my phone - without my permission? I signed up in 2009... well before this scandal of many.

I will give smuckerberg nothing but old memes and past-vacation photos.

He's proven over and over again he can't be trusted with our data.

So what's going on with the GDPR and why are we not hearing about any fine around it?

"sorry" "ok move on"?

I'm amazed how the stocks were completely untouched by this.

Unintentionally? Like, there is a code involved to do that, someone had to write it, approve it, DB for the new data had to be created and so on... What other BS are they going to feed people?
IMO, Facebook itself is BS that has been fed to people. :laughing:
I will give smuckerberg nothing but old memes and past-vacation photos.

He's proven over and over again he can't be trusted with our data.
I've given him nothing but a raised middle finger since the inception of fakebook.
Is it me or does Zuck starting to look more and more like Emperor Palpatine?
Well, he has been sounding like him since day 1 of fakebook, IMO. :laughing:

Oh boy, we can look forward to another Zuck "BS" apology and no penalty ..... hey, Bob Mueller is available, let's let him investigate it!

Oh boy, we can look forward to another Zuck "BS" apology and no penalty ..... hey, Bob Mueller is available, let's let him investigate it!

lol, that''s funny as F. Left wing Mueller investigating left wing Zuckerburg. Yeah like that day is ever going to happen.

Breaking news: Facebook caught not exposing and selling peoples data, internet in disbelief.

Unintentionally? Like, there is a code involved to do that, someone had to write it, approve it, DB for the new data had to be created and so on... What other BS are they going to feed people?
My thoughts precisely (y) (Y)

...[ ]....I'm amazed how the stocks were completely untouched by this.
There's a couple of possibilities in play here. The first is that people have finally and completely resigned themselves to the fact there is no such thing as "true privacy" in the digital age. It obviously follows there's "no disturbance in the force", and life goes on.

Or, they surmise that doucherberg will make money selling those contacts many times over, before he "deletes them"...;) In a very bizarre and frightening way, this is actually a win for stockholders. Or at the very least, Facebook shareholders who refrain from "over sharing" on the platform itself.

I will say one thing for zuckie, as a boldface liar, he is definitely in a league with Donald Trump.:eek:

Last edited:
lol, that''s funny as F. Left wing Mueller investigating left wing Zuckerburg. Yeah like that day is ever going to happen.
You're right, it will never happen, but certainly not because of the silly conclusion you've managed to come up with.

There's no conflict of interest between any governmental agency and Zuckerberg, hence no need to appoint "special counsel". Should they be of a mind to do so, the FBI is, (ostensibly), up to the task.

...[ ]...What other BS are they going to feed people?
This has the makings of a pretty decent riddle / meme.
Sic: "Why are Facebook members like vegetables"? Ans: "The more manure you dump on them, the more they grow to like it".

Back