Facebook, Netflix, and Google to make vaccinations mandatory for personnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Tech companies are sending a clear message to employees: if you want to return to work, you must be vaccinated against Covid-19. Google has said its staff must have received their jabs before returning to the office in October, so has Facebook. Netflix, meanwhile, will require vaccinations for all cast and crew on its US productions.

In a note to employees (via The New York Times), Google CEO Sundar Pichai said the vaccine mandate would apply to US office locations “in the coming weeks” and to other regions “in the coming months.”

In addition to the requirement, Google is delaying its official return to the office date from September to October 18 due to a surge in Covid-19 cases spurred by the Delta variant. Apple recently did the same thing, telling staff they won’t be coming back until October at the earliest.

Facebook, also expecting to reopen offices in the US this October, confirmed its vaccine mandate to The Verge. “As our offices reopen, we will be requiring anyone coming to work at any of our US campuses to be vaccinated,” Facebook’s vice president of people, Lori Goler, said in a statement. “How we implement this policy will depend on local conditions and regulations. We will have a process for those who cannot be vaccinated for medical or other reasons and will be evaluating our approach in other regions as the situation evolves. We continue to work with experts to ensure our return to office plans prioritize everyone’s health and safety.”

Deadline reports that Netflix has become the first major Hollywood studio to implement a vaccine policy. It covers everyone working in “Zone A,” which includes the casts of all of its US productions, as well as those who come into contact with them on set. Netflix is allowing some exceptions to the policy based on age, medical, and religious reasons.

Up until recently, few companies had mandated vaccinations for employees, but the Delta variant has seen many large firms introduce the policy. Lyft, which isn’t allowing workers back in the office until February, will require them to show proof of vaccination. Moreover, the CDC now says fully vaccinated people should wear masks indoors in areas with high Covid-19 transmission rates.

Image credit: Tero Vesalainen

Permalink to story.

Is that even legal? How can your employer force you to put something in your body?.....
I know this will be incredibly hard to comprehend for Americans, but there are very few things in which the benefit of the overall population should overwrite personal freedom. Public health hazards to others is probably one of the most definitive cases for it and guess what this is? Exactly that: a public health risk to allow unvaccinated people into public spaces and even some private ones with large concentrations of people like offices.

Is that even legal? How can your employer force you to put something in your body?.....
Really it's not legal, but they are loopholes. This is the problem society is creating now a days. The vaccine is just creating a division between everyone, now you are either good or bad to society depending on your status of vaccination. It's sad this is what the country is becoming for years now.

I know this will be incredibly hard to comprehend for Americans, but there are very few things in which the benefit of the overall population should overwrite personal freedom. Public health hazards to others is probably one of the most definitive cases for it and guess what this is? Exactly that: a public health risk to allow unvaccinated people into public spaces and even some private ones with large concentrations of people like offices.

Not all Americans (nor most countries such as Italy which have been rioting over mandatory vaccination to enter public leisure restaurants, stores, etc.) - just the ignorant world population who refuse to believe in science through their tin foil hats.

Really it's not legal, but they are loopholes. This is the problem society is creating now a days. The vaccine is just creating a division between everyone, now you are either good or bad to society depending on your status of vaccination. It's sad this is what the country is becoming for years now.

Media thrives off of the ignorant. If they can't sway you on hating each other through race tactics, shift to the next best thing right now..... which is vaccinated vs non-vaccinated.

There is money to be made on either subject, to them it doesn't matter if you hate your neighbor because their skin color is different or if you're unvaccinated and they are vaccinated. Just as long as that hatred is there, they will benefit from one side or the other....or both.

So, people need to keep feeding into the media and social media bull$hit to keep all the stupidity and hatred fueled. It's all about the Benjamins, baby.

It's about FiretrUCKing time! Those apes who aren't vaccinated are posing a real and serious public health threat to EVERYONE!

This is how the Δ variant came to be in the first damn place! If people weren't such imbiciles, there would be no Δ strain because the virus wouldn't be able to mutate in someone who was vaccinated!

I'm really glad that people weren't this stupid back when vaccines for smallpox, measles and polio were developed. I have no issue with what people do with their bodies but if what they're doing is a direct threat to the lives of others, that's where their rights end.

That's why you can't drive past a school at 100km/h and why restaurant workers are required to wash their hands at work. Workplaces have always been allowed to mandate their workers to have a good level of personal hygiene.

These days, being vaccinated has become an important part of personal hygiene and if you don't do it, other people have the right to tell you to get lost. Too many people have died because of people whining about their "rights" just because they think that Ben Shapiro isn't one of the worst people on the planet.

If anyone has a problem with this, then they should have no issue with a coworker rolling around in $hit every morning instead of taking a shower. After all, it's THEIR right to smell terrible and threaten your health with dangerous pathogens, eh?

Sorry for the rant, it just really grinds my gears how so many people refuse to understand the severity of our situation.

Last edited:
Mandating a non-FDA approved medical intervention is overreach and going too far. Americas should have choice, an individual choice to get the vaccine and choice of whether or not they feel safe enough to leave their own house. It should be clear that the disease won't disappear, it will be with us forever, it's up to individuals to do their own risk assessment.

Not all Americans (nor most countries such as Italy which have been rioting over mandatory vaccination to enter public leisure restaurants, stores, etc.) - just the ignorant world population who refuse to believe in science through their tin foil hats.
I know there's a significant chunk of the population that is sensible yes. The problem is that gerrymandering gives far too much political power to the other side which makes them over-represent themselves as far as the perception we have as foreigners looking in.

The same way that they force you to use soap and shampoo. The same way that they force you to come to work not covered in feces and garbage.

EVERY law that we have is a limitation on a person's individual freedom for the good of society. If a law were passed mandating the vaccine, it would be no different.

As I see it, society is not creating a problem. Its the virus creating the problem, and people who refuse to get vaccinated are unnecessarily endangering others as well as themselves. You might consider those risks low, and I agree they appear to be, but there is a risk which is by no means 0. And I already know the argument that there are cases where being vaccinated does not guarantee that someone having received the vaccination will not get the virus and that that same person will not transmit it to others; however, it has been proven by the extensive studies that have been done that the vaccination does greatly reduce that risk.

Consider the case of Typhoid Mary. Would it have been fair to those she exposed to continue to let her infect others? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Mallon In her case, I don't think it fair to blame either Typhoid Mary or Society for the problem.

I'm not American but Polish :joy:

Mandating a non-FDA approved medical intervention is overreach and going too far. Americas should have choice, an individual choice to get the vaccine and choice of whether or not they feel safe enough to leave their own house. It should be clear that the disease won't disappear, it will be with us forever, it's up to individuals to do their own risk assessment.
The argument that the vaccine is not FDA approved will not hold forever. The vaccines will be FDA approved at some point.

Perhaps you should take a look at the link I posted in one of my prior posts which clearly states that an employer is required to make accommodations for those who are not vaccinated - and those accommodations can include that the unvaccinated wear a mask or work from home.

While I agree that people should do their own risk assessment, however, people cannot be allowed to put others at risk. The risk to others, as well as themselves, is, by far, not zero.

sadly, I personally know some...
I do too and I've told them straight to their faces, in no uncertain terms, just how "intelligent" I think they are. I also told them, in no uncertain terms, that until they grow a brain and get the shot, they are to stay the hell away from me.

I'm sick of this garbage. It has gone on way too long and it's time to hold these "stable geniuses" accountable for their (lack of) actions.

I know this will be incredibly hard to comprehend for Americans, but there are very few things in which the benefit of the overall population should overwrite personal freedom.
It's funny Dimitri because that is the very definition of a LAW. :laughing:

In any free society, a law is a limitation on personal freedoms for the greater good, for society as a whole. They're choosing not to understand this because they don't want to.

They’ve gained emergency use authorization (EUA) by the FDA in very late 2020. Clearly it’s not formal approval, however it is emergency use preliminary approval. If they had evidence it was clearly not safe for use, they would have denied the manufacturers and distribution.

Granted, they aren’t “formally approved” solely for the reason of the EUA - it’s been proven that once inoculated, you are 90%+ resistant to the virus that’s killed far more than normal influenza. It’s the better option than having hundreds of thousands more die by 2022 because of the very long approval process. You can’t have a perfect system, we had to go with the known variable that saves lives.

In summation, your right to ‘personal choice’ to prevent spread (and further mutations) stops when you begin affecting the public well-being at a significant scale.

Try yelling “bomb” in an airport and claiming personal freedom - see what happens. Same concept.

Yup, and most religions are making things worse because for all their claims of "wisdom", they don't know their rectal orifices from a hole in the ground when it comes to anything that isn't in their "sacred texts". Hell, even then, they can't seem to agree and kill each other over it.

If you're deluded enough to believe in heaven then death won't scare you. It's a wonderful and comforting delusion for the individual but it's a very dangerous delusion for humanity as a whole.

Yup, and most religions are making things worse because for all their claims of "wisdom", they don't know their rectal orifices from a hole in the ground when it comes to anything that isn't in their "sacred texts". Hell, even then, they can't seem to agree and kill each other over it.

If you're deluded enough to believe in heaven then death won't scare you. It's a wonderful and comforting delusion for the individual but it's a very dangerous delusion for humanity as a whole.
Amen, Brother! ;) :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back