Facebook says it may have to stop operating in the EU amid new data transfer rules

nanoguy

Staff member
The big picture: Facebook says it may be forced to pull the plug on its EU operations, after the Irish privacy watchdog gave it three weeks to stop all user data transfers to the US. The company explains it is "not threatening to withdraw from Europe," but it has taken the issue to court as it believes it has been unfairly targeted for a common practice among many American organizations operating in the region.

Last month, Ireland's Data Protection Commission (DPC) sent Facebook a preliminary order to stop transferring the data of European users to the US, after a European Court of Justice ruled that American privacy legislation isn't adequate. Failing that, Facebook could be fined up to four percent of its annual turnover, which is about $2.8 billion if we go by its global revenue in 2019.

According to a court filing in Dublin spotted by VICE, the social giant said the DPC's decision would make it impossible to offer its services in the EU for the 410 million people that constantly tap into Facebook and Instagram. But more importantly, the company sued the DPC, alleging it's been singled out in a sea of over 5,000 companies who depend on Standard Contractual Clauses (SCCs) and Privacy Shield to operate EU-US data transfers.

Facebook believes the DPC's move was premature, and takes issue with the potential impact such a measure might have on the European economy, as SCCs are also used by other tech giants, as well as banks, airlines, and many small businesses. The company urges regulators to think of a more pragmatic approach before a sustainable long-term solution can be found.

The DPC issued the preliminary order as a way of preventing data of European residents from being stored or processed in the US, where it may become subject to mass surveillance programs. It's also flexing its muscles after mounting criticism that it isn't doing enough to enforce GDPR on big tech companies.

Yvonne Cunnane, Facebook Ireland's head of data protection and associate general counsel, noted "the fact one person is responsible for the entire process is relevant to [Facebook’s] concerns, in respect of the inadequacy of the investigative process engaged in and independence of the ultimate decision-making process."

Permalink to story.

Poor Fakebook .... they just don't realize they are not loved around the world and certainly the Irish couldn't give a hoot about practices in the USA, making it doubtful they will become our 51st state! The world will be a better place the day it and perhaps Zuck both make a hasty exit from this lifetime .....

Poor Fakebook .... they just don't realize they are not loved around the world and certainly the Irish couldn't give a hoot about practices in the USA, making it doubtful they will become our 51st state! The world will be a better place the day it and perhaps Zuck both make a hasty exit from this lifetime .....

I hardly ever use Facebook, but it would seem the millions of users on its platform worldwide suggests it's valuable to them in some way.

Facebook is the bane of society, it has ruined a generation of low-IQ *****s that read nothing but a headline, take it as the gospel and spread the disinformation. A lot of this has to do with cellphones where people don't take the time to actually research something, instead taking the word of some charlatan via a headline and not bothering to read more.

They sure worked hard enough at being a tax shelter for American tech companies, so yeah, I think they probably DO care. Their just gambling that the next-to-nothing tax FB pays in Ireland offsets this little "privacy tax" their thinking of implementing.

Yea byebye. If we close down the Facebook SoMe monopoly that is FB Messenger I can hopefully get to communicating with People via more secure means. Then again everyone I work with will probably just move onto bloody Google and well.. Same same then.

Good. I don't mind fb, even if I don't use it, but I do mind sending my data outside eu. They want to do business here, then follow regulations.

For those who may not know, in Australia, our news corp papers and federal government are asking for Facebook to pay for news. Honestly I believe Facebook's case that they shouldn't have to but what's interesting is that Facebook is threatening to close it's operations here. I would love nothing more for Facebook to f off. The funny thing is that if they did close, it would make next to nothing difference to peoples lives. We still have email, sms, Skype, etc, so please privacy invader, f off from Australia, the EU and the world.

Back