Facebook's bots ban thousands of small businesses from advertising at height of retail...

Pete Flint

Facepalm: Facebook’s moderation bots began banning thousands of small businesses from using their ad services during the week leading up to Black Friday, a crucial time for many entrepreneurs. This was most likely caused by a shift in their moderation workforce to focus on handling misinformation around the US election and the coronavirus pandemic.

For weeks and months leading up to the US election, Facebook has been begrudgingly evolving its message around censorship and content moderation to fit the times and trends seen in other social media companies. There has been noticeable cross-over between this American election season and misinformation about the coronavirus pandemic, and between these two monumental online topics, the tech giant’s teams of human moderators have had their hands full.

For this reason, they have relied heavily on moderation bots to maintain the status quo this Black Friday season, apparently to the chagrin of many small business owners who depend on Facebook’s online marketing tools.

Seemingly randomly, Facebook’s non-human moderators began banning thousands of small business accounts on its ad service, each attributed to a “Policy Violation” without further explanation, which was then lifted days later.

In reference to the recent steps to flag misinformation on the site, Guy Rosen, Facebook’s vice president of integrity, stated in a press call, “As we take more action, we remove more content, there’s more opportunities also for those to be in error.”

During a Bloomberg interview, small business owner Ruth Harrigan explained that she lost an estimated $5,000 of crucial revenue in the days that her advertising was muted, stating, “…most of my sales for the year happen in November and December and that’s it.”

Ms. Harrigan was certainly not alone. Jessica Grossman, CEO of the digital marketing firm In Social had to explain to her clients why their sales hit a cliff this week, stating, “Facebook almost doesn’t realize the impact of their own algorithm and what that means.” She also confirmed among the accounts she manages that there was no apparent pattern around the bans.

With the pandemic response varying from country to country but generally having a disproportionate effect on small businesses, this week’s online retail event was an invaluable time for many who were looking to make up for lost sales in prior months.

“We know it can be frustrating to experience any type of business disruption, especially at such a critical time of the year,” Facebook released in an official statement. “While we offer free support for all businesses, we regularly work to improve our tools and systems, and to make the support we offer easier to use and access. We apologize for any inconvenience recent disruptions may have caused.”

Permalink to story.

If you don’t like Facebook and its moderation, please, leave Facebook!!!

There are plenty of people who have already quit Facebook and are moving to Parler!

hopefully more people will leave and start something new which completely shuts Facebook out and gives people what they want without any censorship whatsoever. I don’t want Facebook to last forever and as far as I’m concerned if they go out like my space did I couldn’t care less, but it gives me more options.

I guess these guys got "Zuckered". :laughing:

It serves Facebook right for using these stupid bots to begin with. They've never been reliable and Facebook only uses them because they're cheap. That's why Mark is now a billionaire.

So after many years of forbearance Facebook and Twitter finally tired of having their platforms abused for misinformation and hate. It took long enough and the damage done is sad. Parler is pandering to the same stuff and will develop accordingly.

What are you talking about? All that is left on Facebook is misinformation and hate. They keep removing the truth.

"banning thousands of small businesses"
“Facebook almost doesn’t realize the impact of their own algorithm and what that means.”

Why do people still believe in TRUST? When there's huge profit, TRUST is exploited.
What one can easily presume from FB's behavior: they banned small businesses so bigger business(es) could reap the rewards. Don't you even try to be any opposition to the monopolies.
They are no fools, you are, for trusting them. And still trusting.

All that is left on Facebook is misinformation and hate. They keep removing the truth.
OK, then let's fall back on the conservative business staple: These are private companies and the owners can do what they want. Happy now?

My thoughts exactly. Mr. Zuckerberg is getting too big for his britches and needs to once again be immersed in reality. We don't need Facebook and there are a lot of other Social Networks that will be more than glad to see them and let them have their say.

OK, then let's fall back on the conservative business staple: These are private companies and the owners can do what they want. Happy now?

So, he called out your first claim as false. You basically agreed instantly that your claim was false and then proposed a new excuse/justification for the new 'FakeBook'. When you label truth as 'misinformation' all that's left is propaganda. There's no reason for me to label a story on 'Fakebook' as misinformation that states the moon is made out of gold because nobody would believe it anyway. And time generally exposes all claims as truth or lies. But no one man knows all. Facebook does not get to decide what I believe is truth. Sorry.

Just about the only people going to Parler are conspiracy nuts who think COVID-19 is fake, so why would moving there be useful for people who just want to sell items to the general public for use as Christmas presents?

COVID-19 virus is not fake, it's very real. There are trillions of living viruses on every human being that is alive. So, it's very easy to believe in a single COVID-19 virus that exist. What's fake is the 'COVID-19 Pandemic'. On second thought, I can't say that's fake either. Because both are real. The level of hysteria being purposely generated around the virus and how afraid we should be of it are what's insane. It's an overly-hyped, overly exxagerated, 24/7 fear-mongering campaign of a virus that we have had to deal with that has proven itself to be as deadly, more or less, as other known viruses. The case fatality rate is less than .25 percent of the entire U.S. Population.

We're basically, being threatened to fear it even if we don't. I have zero fear of dying of COVID-19 or any other virus right now. And that makes people in high places angry. Because I don't need their vaccine. So, dammit if they can't scare me using 24/7 news propaganda then they will force me to a wear mask and get jabbed. Appealing to my conscience by calling me a 'grandma murderer' didn't work. So they have to go about it differently now. People get used to those billions of dollars they've been raking in for years. They had to do something to boost sales.

The past 6+ months has been nothing more than a united global effort to scare the hell out of people and then provide a solution to all their fears. What is that solution that we hear about on television 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 *!*@*#*$*%! days a year? A vaccine. Here it comes. We're all saved. Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been hiding under my bed with my mask on for the past 9 months. Damn, there's not much headroom under this bed either. The smells of rotten food and other things (if you catch my umm...drift...) are starting to get to me.

Praise to be the all-mighty, all-powerful, all-knowing Bill Gates. Thank You Bill. I can finally live my life without fear again. I can come out into the light again. Uncle Bill...you're the greatest!

Last edited:
Praise to be the all-mighty, all-powerful, all-knowing Bill Gates. Thank You Bill. I can finally live my life without fear again. I can come out into the light again. Uncle Bill...you're the greatest!
Parler called - they want you to quit fooling around over here.

Parler called - they want you to quit fooling around over here.

Nice one liner. Adding nothing to the discussion whatsoever. Thanks. Anyone else wanna try defending the lockdowns and destroying peoples lives for a virus that has a case fatality rate of less than .25 percent? Go. I'll wait.

Back