Failure Security Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

msharris16

My Ctrl+Alt+Delete when attemtping to use comes up with the error of "Logon Process Has Failed To Create Security Options Dialog". The only issue going on right now with my pc is Windows Update error code 80070002 when trying to update Windows Ulitmate Extras 7.0.6000.381, which I have had HP and Micorsoft attempt to fix with no luck. Any help would be great, I have a HP with Vista Ulitmate.

what did MS suggest?

error code 80070002 is an installer failure to locate a file/scipt; is the message
specific as to which one?

I'll be specific and invite you to be the same;
1) exactly, word for word, what was the error message?
(see your Event Viewer, it should be in there)
2) what did MS ask you to verify or find and report back to them?​

First here is what MS has asked me to do:
1. Click the Start Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".
2. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Please enter the following command, and press enter.

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL

You will get a "DllRegisterServer in wuaueng.dll succeeded" window.

4. Then, please move on to enter the following commands one by one. A success notification will be received after each command.

REGSVR32 QMGRPRXY.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUX.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEBV.DLL
REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL

Step 2: Rename the Windows Update Softwaredistribution folder
================================================
This issue may occur if the Windows Update, Software distribution folder has been corrupted. We can refer to the following steps to rename this folder. Please note that the folder will be re-created the next time we visit the Windows Update site.

1. Close all the open windows.
2. Click the Start Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".
3. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator".
4. In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully stopped before we try to rename the folder. However, if it fails, please let me know before performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have received when it failed.

5. Click the Start Button, in the "Start Search" box, type in "%windir%" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
6. In the opened folder, look for the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".
7. Right-click on the folder, select Rename and type "SDold" (without the quotes) to rename this folder.
8. While still in the "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type the command "net start WuAuServ" (without the quotes) in the opened window to restart the Windows Updates service.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully started. However, if it fails, please let me know before performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have received when it failed.

Step 3: Rename the CatRoot2 folder
===========================
1. Close all the open windows.
2. Click the Start Button, click "All Programs", and click "Accessories".
3. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator".
4. In the "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in "net stop CryptSvc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully stopped before we try to rename the folder. However, if it fails, please let me know before performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have received when it failed.

5. Click the Start Button, in the Start Search box, type: "%windir%\System32" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
6. In the opened folder, locate the CatRoot2 folder, right-click on it, and select Rename. Change the name to CR2OLD. Make sure you press Enter after typing in the new name, so the changes are executed.

Warning: Please do not remove the "Catroot" folder, which is a system folder.

7. While still in the "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type the command "net start CryptSvc" (without the quotes) in the opened window to restart the Cryptographic Service.

Then
1. Some security programs such as a firewall or other Internet related applications running in the background, which interferes with the Windows updating process.
2. Several system components had been damaged.

In order to help us resolve this issue more efficiently, let us perform the following steps. It may take us some time to perform the previous instructions. Your patience and efforts on this are greatly appreciated.

This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button, type "msconfig" in the search bar and press Enter.

Note: Please click the Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.
2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System"

4. Test if we can update the system in Clean Boot.

Note 1: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

Note 2: We can check on Normal Startup in the General tab to roll back to Normal Mode after we get this issue resolved.

After that, if this problem still persists, let us use the Windows Vista Installation CD to repair the corrupted system components by following the blow steps:

1. Insert the Windows Vista DVD into the optical drive.
2. When the Windows Vista Install windows pops up, click Install Now.
3. Then follow the steps and reach to the Choose installation type pane after the License terms.
4. Choose Upgrade to repair the system.

Then
This problem can be caused that the latest Windows Update Agent 3.0 was unable to be installed. At this time, let us perform the following steps to continue troubleshooting this issue.

1. Please download the file from the following link:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

2. Save the file to D: drive.
3. Click Start->Run, type: "D:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce" (without quotations) and then press Enter to install the Windows Update engine.

Note : There is a space between "D:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" and "/wuforce"

Please try the steps above and let me know the results. If the issue is not resolved, please help me to collect the following information for further research.

Then
1. Click Start, please type “CMD” (without quotation marks) in the Start Search bar and right click on the “cmd.exe” choose “Run as administrator”
2. The CMD command prompt windows will appear
3. Please type the following command and press Enter

SFC /Scannow

Note: System will take some time to scan for the system.

4. After scanning, please restart the computer and then check if this problem still persists.

Also, not sure what info you are looking for in the event view
Thanks for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back