Fan/Cooling Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coth

Is it possible to have TOO much air moving around in the case? It's probably too late to ask because I ordered a new CPU heatsink/fan (actually needed it), VPU heatsink with 9cm fan, two RAM heatsinks with 9cm fan, Northbridge cooler, and a motherboard crossflow fan (have a CM Stacker case).

Overall I should get lower temps but since I've bought this stuff I was wondering if I should have a low, medium or high fan RPMs for all fans. I don't plan on overclocking (yet), don't see the need for it at the moment.

What I thought is if there is too much air moving around that certain placed fans with their air, could get misdirected; either air does not cool the peripheral correctly due to high-volume/amount of air being sucked away from the device fan that is being starved.

The case is huge and will use rounded cables for IDE and cable management also.

Ok.

You cool stuff down by actually getting cold air onto your heatsinks, absorbing the heat energy, and moving away as hot air. The more cold air, the more heat energy is removed.

Which is why we want HUGE fans, on HUGE heatsinks.

But I can see your problem. Which is why "mapping out" your airflow is a good idea. But I also realise that this is much easier said than done. There are ways, but I don't think they're practical, nor have I used them. Some sort of gas or something apparently which you can buy, which will show the airflow in the case. Other readers who know may be able to direct you on that.

However, something easier can be done. Just make sure that the fans are blowing towards an exhaust fan, and you'd be more or less sure that you'd get hot air removed from the case. Heatsink and fan combos such as the Zalman 7700 or 9700 have their fans in such a way that makes them aligned to the exhaust fan. Many others like the Soniq tower, Thermalright ultra-120, Scythe Ninja, etc, etc have their fans situated in the same way as well.

But if you're in doubt, I would certainly think that more airflow cannot be detrimental either way. If you really want to make sure, just use some airducts, those are good for making sure air is routed to the right components.

Bad airflow management would raise temps by just a few degrees, but lack of airflow would raise temps very significantly (ie, too little air moving in/out of the case). Don't worry too much about it, or if you have too much time on your hands, just play around with the fan voltages, and see what will give you the lowest temps, or lowest noise/temp ratio, which may be more beneficial.

Airflow cannot be a problem in a clean computer. But if you have a lot of dust and pet hair, it can increase the opportunities for static electricity. So be sure your case is free of dust and hair.

Static electricity?

It is possible, but I'm betting that you'd get problems with heat first, as all that dust and hair will raise temps by stopping air from reaching the heatsinks.

Computers, Bad Habits and clear side windows.....

If I Hadn't quit smoking, and had a case with a clear window, I'd just light up next to the machine, breath out near t6he intakes and watch where it went.
Hmmm, wind tunnel testing.

something like that. You can actually buy something that'll smoke up.

I suppose an alternative is to get some incense or something and burn it near intakes. Not sure how much healthier it is over smoking though....

Winds of the old days......

CMH said:
something like that. You can actually buy something that'll smoke up.

I suppose an alternative is to get some incense or something and burn it near intakes. Not sure how much healthier it is over smoking though....

Incense, just the mere mention brings back nostalgia for the good old days of sex before the HIV threat, a full head of hair, $1.00 a gallon gasoline, affordable housing. Sweet incense, make mine Patchouli.

Chick-fil-a!

Thx for the input guys.

Make mine a Chick-fil-a sandwich... :approve:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back