'Far Cry Primal' is set in the Stone Age

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Ubisoft has revealed that the next game in the Far Cry series will be set in the Stone Age. In Far Cry Primal, players will assume the role of a lone hunter named Takkar whose primary task is to remain alive in the wild at a time when humans weren’t at the top of the food chain.

Takkar ended up as the sole survivor after his hunting group was ambushed, forcing him to face the untamed land of Oros on his own. The game’s description says the hero will face off against massive mammoths, saber tooth tigers and rival hunters along the way using a collection of crude weaponry – much of which Takkar must craft on his own.

Ubisoft said the action will take place across varying landscapes including swamps and redwood cedar forests. Given the time period, it’s of little surprise that fire will play a major role in the game, both in providing protection at night and as a tactical option when ambushing wildlife or infiltrating enemy outposts.

The trailer embedded above should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

Far Cry Primal is set to arrive on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on February 23, 2016 as a full-fledged single-player experience, not a small spinoff like Blood Dragon. It’ll land on PC the following month, we’re told.

Permalink to story.

Its a fairly original concept, so props for that. I dont know if ill be able to play it for hours on end like previous ones.

Original? It's a generic FPS set in pre-historic times. Pre-history as a setting has been used in video gaming since the days of 8bit.

Original? It's a generic FPS set in pre-historic times. Pre-history as a setting has been used in video gaming since the days of 8bit.
I have yet to see a generic FPS set in the stone age. I tend to think that FPS's play a little differently then any games on my NES.

I did misuse the world original. its just a more unique setting in a world full of sci fi and modern shooters.

And you have to stop the main villain from using his latest creation! :p
latest

Its a fairly original concept, so props for that. I dont know if ill be able to play it for hours on end like previous ones.
Umm no its not.
Google Ark.

Nah screw Ark. Let's go back and play Savage.

Personally I'm tired of seeing the Far Cry series. FC2 was the last one I enjoyed. The rest were just watered down. But that's what happens when you wear out a franchise.

Can't make anyone happy these days can you. Although I agree that these series seem to be getting old quick.

Umm no its not.
Google Ark.
um, im seeing people killing and riding dinosaurs and shooting guns.
In Ark you start off with nothing, you have to hunt, fish and kill to work you way up.
You can tame and ride all types of dino's (even flyers) and become part of a bigger village.
Not sure about guns but from the screenshots I've seen some sweet bows.

Its 40% off on steam right now, or $20, when its $10 I'll get it.

They should make a world war 2 game
Well, if they are rebooting the series from stone age there is plenty of chronological scope in between then and 1939. Maybe that will be Far Cry 19 ? Given how the series has stagnated, maybe they should be more self aware - maybe set the next installment in the 16th century with the player as an Aztec trying to avoid the Smallpox carrying Conquistadors - they can then go meta on charting FC's progress by calling it Far Cough
I thought the stone age was the Sixties.
That would be less Far Cry than Far Out.

So who is sponsoring it? I can't wait to see the tag line "Far Cry: Primal. The Stone Age game that runs best on ________ hardware"

So who is sponsoring it? I can't wait to see the tag line "Far Cry: Primal. The Stone Age game that runs best on ________ hardware"

Collector's Edition to include two sticks, a piece of flint, grass rope, and a free admission ticket to your local museum.

Collector's Edition to include two sticks, a piece of flint, grass rope, and a free admission ticket to your local museum.
No handaxe + Cannibals Catering Guide cave painting combo? I'll hold out for the GOTY version.
[after dialogue]

a. ugg!
b. hrmph?
c. [laugh]
d. harrr fut, Katba! (Shut up, Donny!)
Sounds like a breach of copyright situation with Microsoft's Presidential Debate Simulator

No handaxe + Cannibals Catering Guide cave painting combo? I'll hold out for the GOTY version.

No hand axe, sadly. I had petitioned them to include my favorite prehistoric weapon (the atlatl), but they said 'no' on account of legal barriers in California and several northeastern states. This is why they are only selling the individual components.

Sounds like a breach of copyright situation with Microsoft's Presidential Debate Simulator

Nope. The M$ patent filing:

Microsoft® Debate Simulator Functionality fig. 102

[intelligent response algorithms]

a. [false narrative]
b. [spaghettification of facts]
c. [improvised sci-fi/fantasy]
d. [feigned ignorance]
e. [citation of gender]

Like always, it will depend on how it plays. If it is sort of open world where you can determine your own destiny and mods are allowed then it might be pretty good. If they force situations and don't allow modding it will die quickly.

Modding is not everything, but it IS a "thing". Without it games have no legs... they don't last long.

Its not fun at all... the weapon only Bow, Spear, Torch and Stick. the different is just it made by wood, stone or bone.

Back