Kobo brings its first color e-reader to the market, starting at $150

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
Something to look forward to: While color e-readers are nothing new at this point, major e-reader companies mostly sell monochromatic devices and Android-based tablets that are ill-conceived for a comfortable reading experience. Canadian company Kobo is now trying to disrupt this sad state of affairs.

On April 30, Kobo will start shipping its new color e-reader models: the $150 Kobo Clara Colour, and the $220 Kobo Libra Colour. Both devices employ the same E Ink Kaleido 3 display technology, while specs, storage capacity and feature availability differ. The Toronto-based company promises the same, improved reading experience on either model, with a full color screen and "shooting hues" specifically designed for readers.

The original Kobo eReader was released in 2010 as a minimalist, economic alternative to the more expensive e-book readers available at the time. Now, Rakuten Kobo Inc. is trying to seize new market opportunities while other major e-reader companies (including Amazon) are still selling exclusively black-and-white, yet pricey, reading devices.

The Kobo Clara Colour e-reader has a 6-inch, glare-free touch display, supports highlighting and "color-coding" book passages with the touch of a finger, and is fully waterproof (IPX8). The included 16GB storage is good enough to archive 12,000 books, Kobo says, while connectivity options include Bluetooth, Wi-Fi 5, and USB-C. The device uses a dual-core processor, aiming to ensure a pleasant reading experience..

The higher-end Kobo Libra Colour model employs the same basic E Ink technology and dual-core CPU, with a larger touch screen (7") and support for a Kobo Stylus, which is sold separately. The e-reader also includes physical buttons to turn pages, while storage goes up to 32GB or 24,000 books. Kobo is also refreshing its previous black-and-white e-reader, which is now called the Kobo Clara BW, with a suggested price of $130.

The E Ink Kaleido 3 technology employed in Kobo's new color e-readers can show 4,096 colors and more saturated hues compared to the previous generation Kaleido Plus. Color images have a resolution of 150 PPI, while black-and-white content is still sharper at 300 PPI. Despite entering the color e-reader market, Kobo is still promising the same week-long battery life and glare-free reading experience.

According to Rakuten Kobo CEO Michael Tamblyn, the Kobo Libra Colour and Kobo Clara Colour are the first affordable color e-readers from a global ebook platform. Color e-ink technology should enrich users' reading experience, Tamblyn said, while keeping the same daylight readability and battery longevity that still make E Ink screens the best solution for readers in a world full of LCD/OLED-based smartphones and tablets.

Permalink to story:

Ahh the promise of color, I won't bite till 300ppi, I tend to buy these things and don't use them
I really hope we get a full comic/pdf color reader one day, with great battery life . low eye strain.
Haven't check to see state of latest and greatest , ie crazy price what's possible.

Problem I suppose is cheap low cost OLED RBG is apparently also just around the corner, a great low cost SDR OLED should be in very efficient to run. Much more research put into printing flexible, super cheap OLED. WOLED and QD-OLED have lots of complexity . Both LG and Samsung stack the OLEDS 3 layers , Samsung just stacks blue OLED

Heh. I gave up... Bought used samsung tab, 10'' 2k amoled screen, if you set brightness at right point at day, its like reading paper! Quite lot of screen reflection though, but beggars cant be choosers!

Heh. I gave up... Bought used samsung tab, 10'' 2k amoled screen, if you set brightness at right point at day, its like reading paper! Quite lot of screen reflection though, but beggars cant be choosers!
Get a matte screen protector (ala paperlike) and you'll have exactly what you are after.

Back