FDA: If youth e-cigarette use doesn't decline, it will be banned

mongeese

Staff
Big quote: “A few years ago, it would have been incredible to me that we’d be here, discussing the potential for drug therapy to help addicted youth vapers quit nicotine,” said FDA Commissioner Gottlieb. “Youth use of e-cigarettes has become an epidemic. It could be game over for some of these products.”

FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb took the stage at a public hearing about youth addiction on Friday and said that the entire product category faces an “existential threat.” While he agrees that vaping has helped smokers quit, he says that the massive number of people turning 18 with an addiction outweighs the benefits.

Specifically, it’s the marketing to kids and youth-focused flavors, such as bubblegum or gummy bear, that he has a problem with. “I’ve heard too many painful stories from parents of teenagers, pediatricians and young people themselves,” he said. “The stories make clear that, for many young e-cigarette users, addiction has already taken hold.”

While it might sound that way, Gottlieb is not delivering an ultimatum to e-cigarette companies. Up until now, the Food and Drug Administration has taken minimal steps to regulate the products that hit shelves, instead delivering guidelines and negotiating with companies.

Going forward, he suggested, the FDA will be taking a very heavy-handed approach. Proper age verification systems are the first step. “Forbidden fruit” advertising is when ads tell youth not to buy the product, which has the reverse effect. Regulating that is step two.

Limiting how e-cigarette companies can wield the “cool factor” in advertising could be step three. Step four might be banning all flavors outright if it comes to that. The last step will be blocking all sales, either permanently or until every single product can go through FDA testing.

"Perhaps the 'cool factor' outweighed other concerns"

“Perhaps the kids didn’t realize that what they were inhaling contained nicotine, a highly addictive chemical. Perhaps they simply thought that e-cigarettes were safer than combustible cigarettes, chewing tobacco and other forms of nicotine delivery about which they’d been warned.”

Throughout the hearing, Gottlieb shied away from making any promises or cementing any details, but he says new frameworks are coming soon. Critics say that with so many young people already addicted, they’ve failed America.

Between 2017 and 2018 e-cigarette use in high schoolers increased by 78%, and it increased by 48% in the same period for middle schoolers. This has increased underage youth usage up by 1.5 million to 3.6 million, and over a quarter of those students use e-cigarettes regularly.

A study in last year’s October edition of the American Journal of Preventative Medicine found that using e-cigarettes daily doubled the risk of heart attack.

Permalink to story.

Ban vaping and kids will just turn back to smoking. Atleast with vaping the chance to reduce nicotine levels will be far easier then with normal cigarettes. I went from 12mg nic when I started to 3mg nic that I'm on now, soon to phase it out completely. When will authorities learn that prohibition never works. Atleast here in the uk those in charge have taken the real world benefits of vaping over smoking much more seriously then in the US, which is rather amazing given how our government normally overreacts. We don't have it that easy though as we have these rediculous TPD rules that limit bottle and tank size and all that does is make you fill up your tank more times during the day and does nothing to limit the amount you can vape. Not only that but every vaping device or product has to come plastered with big "contains nicotine" labels regardless of weather the product is purchased containing nicotine or not. I hope this ban doesn't happen as it will cause far more problems then it will fix.

The only concern the government has regarding vaping is how to tax it. Also, if states can declare that other addictive drugs like marijuana are legal, ignore federal laws they don't like and otherwise give the finger to Congress how will the feds respond if those states decide to permit vaping regardless of federal regulation? Tanks and infantry?

Ban vaping and kids will just turn back to smoking. Atleast with vaping the chance to reduce nicotine levels will be far easier then with normal cigarettes. I went from 12mg nic when I started to 3mg nic that I'm on now, soon to phase it out completely. When will authorities learn that prohibition never works. Atleast here in the uk those in charge have taken the real world benefits of vaping over smoking much more seriously then in the US, which is rather amazing given how our government normally overreacts. We don't have it that easy though as we have these rediculous TPD rules that limit bottle and tank size and all that does is make you fill up your tank more times during the day and does nothing to limit the amount you can vape. Not only that but every vaping device or product has to come plastered with big "contains nicotine" labels regardless of weather the product is purchased containing nicotine or not. I hope this ban doesn't happen as it will cause far more problems then it will fix.

I suggest you take a read of the ingredients that are found in this junk. Actually worse than cigarette's if you can believe it. Frankly, a total ban on anything that can be taken into the lungs other than prescribed materials needs to be put into effect as it has NO beneficial value and only promotes more disease .... unfortunate, but true.

I suggest you take a read of the ingredients that are found in this junk. Actually worse than cigarette's if you can believe it. Frankly, a total ban on anything that can be taken into the lungs other than prescribed materials needs to be put into effect as it has NO beneficial value and only promotes more disease .... unfortunate, but true.

Unfortunate that you are either completely misinformed or lying. The base ingredients for vape fluid are about as harmful as an asthma inhaler. I hate vaping nearly as much as I hate cigs, btw.

Keep in mind this is the same person who is banning menthol cigarettes because they're racist

So explain me why I feel way better after I left cigs alone and only vape? Dont get me wrong Ive seen several ppl saying e cig is worse but my body tends to disagree. From stamina in sports, sex drive, overall health, everything in line with a non smoker. What can e cig harm then?

Unfortunate that you are either completely misinformed or lying. The base ingredients for vape fluid are about as harmful as an asthma inhaler. I hate vaping nearly as much as I hate cigs, btw.
He is not lying, you're only delusional defending an addictive substance that has no other meaning than to destroy peoples bodies and minds, there are many medical proofs that states the harmful of this so call smoking substitute like the one shown on this same article and just someone who is addicted to it or is gaining some kind of economic incentive is going to defend this.

Last edited:
So explain me why I feel way better after I left cigs alone and only vape? Dont get me wrong Ive seen several ppl saying e cig is worse but my body tends to disagree. From stamina in sports, sex drive, overall health, everything in line with a non smoker. What can e cig harm then?
You are switching from one of the most harmful and addictive substances known to man to another "less" harmful and claiming that is better to your health. Why don't you try stopping altogether. It was the same when cigarettes were a thing 60 years ago even doctors claimed there wasn't any harm in smoking.

Instead of taking a wait & see approach, lets just eliminate ALL tobacco & smoking/vaping products of every kind everywhere and be done with it....

multiple problems solved in 1 stroke !

Yea big tobacco & it's related industries will go bankrupt, but we will ALL be much healthier & happier as a result.

Glad the FDA is looking hard at this, but I wish they would look as hard at the pharmaceutical industry, from testing, Journals, direct to consumer ads, promotions to doctors.

You are switching from one of the most harmful and addictive substances known to man to another "less" harmful and claiming that is better to your health. Why don't you try stopping altogether. It was the same when cigarettes were a thing 60 years ago even doctors claimed there wasn't any harm in smoking.

Of course not smoking anything is better. But Ecig is not worse than traditional tobacco wich was my point. If you want to go that route let me assure you that coke (pepsi etc), alcohol, ketchup, caffeine, sugar, they all are harmful for your body. Even too much broccoli can be bad.

You don't have to tell me it's better, I've been vaping for six years now.

I know exaactly what is in e-cig juice as I've made my own, all e-cig ingredients have to be food grade and to say that it contains worse chemicals then cigarette's is absolutely rediculous. You do know that cigarette's contain arsenic and cyanide don't you as well as a thousand other chemicals. eliquid contains five at the most, again all food grade.

With all due respect, you are quite incorrect here. I am an E-Liquid TRLM safety officer, and vaping currently by-and-large is healthier than any form of cigarette smoking.

While putting anything foreign in your bodies is unhealthier than nothing at all - directly comparing cigarettes and vaping use shows that vaping (known thus far) is proven to be a healthier alternative. The VG, PG, sugars, and nicotene are much preferred to carcinogens contained in cigarettes.

Well, it looks like propaganda is working if people in this thread actually believe that vaping is worse than smoking. And I'm not saying that either are healthy.

I could care less for either of them, but I'd rather see people vape than smoke for more than obvious chemical reasons. And if they can get away with no nicotine, even better.

As for the FDA, what a stupid move. At the most, try to regulate the nicotine so kids can't get addicted that way. But otherwise, they'll just get other people to buy it for them (like every other age restricted substance).

the ingredient you're referring to is "diacetyl" which is the ingredient they were trying to blame popcorn lung on which is found in buttery foods etc such as......popcorn, ironically. that theory has been derailed though considering cigarettes contain 200x more diacetyls than e-juice does. so I guess you're the guy who's wrong and didn't do much reading. I've been off cigs for 7 months now and have been vaping. trust me. im healthier. the fda just doesn't like seeing their money being taking away by the vaping industry so they'll do everything they can to get rid of it or make people fear it. nicotine also doesn't cause cancer in case you didn't know.

Maybe these parents should start actually being parents for once and teach their retarded *** kids to obey the god damn law. every vape shop either says no entrance under 18 or 21 let alone the sale of the product. if a kid goes in there and buys something illegally, throw them in juvenile for a week and fine the seller. have the parents take off their belts and actually discipline their children.

if a child is that enticed by these "cool" bubblegum and gummy bear flavorings then its simply poor parenting and the child is probably too gullible to be safely out in public regardless. it seriously sounds like these are the same kids who are dumb enough to get in the van with the man with a bag full of candy or that lost his dog. its illegal. teach your kids not to do illegal things. its simple.

if the law would get off their *** and enforce the rules we wouldn't be having this issue, but kids are doing the same thing with cigarettes and u don't see a big article on it now do you? well actually you have for years, but they're obviously pointless and not working so what's this going to do besides ruin it for adults who actually use it for quitting?

fda just mad they not making as much money off cancer sticks now "boo hoo wahhh a goo goo I can't sell people cancer anymore and then sell them pills for it and kill them with chemo instead of giving them the real cure we've had for years WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

**** the fda

Its all in your head.

Back