File Associations in Win XP SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

braaiman

Hi

I wonder if anybody can help with the following problem. I use VLC as my default video program, and had a problem with .mkv files. This was sorted out by updating VLC to the latest version. The .mkv files were for some reason associated with Internet Explorer, and it took ages to find a way to assoicate these with the VLC program. The normal way of just changing the program didn't work because IE seemed to want to hang on to them.

Now the problem is this, if I click on an .mkv file I receive a message that VLC is unable to open the file, however if I cick on the VLC program and then File Open and then on the file it opens and plays as it should. Anybody have any idea why this should be happening.

Thank You

Hello

Tks for your reply and advice, but unfortunately thats exactly what I did and yet at the end of it, Windows still showed that file type associated with IE.

Judging from the fact that I have not seen this problem reported anywhere on the forums, I am wondering if there might not be a problem with a corrupt file in windows.

Thanks anyway

might be a problem with the registry, in which you could restore if you made a backup, but i wouldn't recommend going and modifying entries yourself, but go here for a list reg files that could possibly fix the associations. just make sure to make a backup of the registry beforehand.

This is just a "stab in the dark" if you want to try.... but you might want to try resetting IE (which will remove all IE add-ons, etc) in guess something added to IE is grabbing that mkv file association.

Hello

Thanks for the replies and advice. EXCellR8, yes a registry restore did the trick, only problem was I had to go back to the only back up I made which was a long long time ago, that should teach me something. LookinAround, thanks for your advice, but managed to solve the problem without resetting IE.

Regards to you both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back