File missing, can't delete it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technochicken

even though I'm extatic about being able to play crysis without my computer exploding, I have an issue. While I was downloading the demo, and it was 2/3 the way done, I accidentally closed out my browser. It cancelled the download, and now I can not find the 1.2 gb useless bit of the crysis installer. So I can't delete it, and it's just siting there out of sight and taking up space. It's not in my download folder, and I've done every search I could think of. I've searched for the name, the file size, and the modification date with no luck. Any sugestions?

CCleaner only found about 300 mb of stuff to clean up, but the missing file is 1.2 gigs. Also, when CCleaner has things like windows media player checked under multimedia, does that mean it will remove that program?

Sometimes you have to run ccleaner like twice back to back. And no it will not remove windows media player itself, more or less the incompete and temp files that is in WMP. But if you use the TOOLs memu, and click on unistall then Yes it will reomve WMP from your computer. But just running a regualer scan will not.

i ran ccleaner and now it says it has 0 bytes to clean up, but the there is still unaccounted for space taken up on my c drive, that could only be from the partial download.

I suggest you do a System Restore to date closest to before you began the download that was aborted. That should undo that problem. Then you will known whether Crysis is the problem or whether is it something else.

I don't use CCleaner and it makes me apprehensive at the thought of "Sometimes you have to run ccleaner like twice back to back."- I have my own 'arsenal'. But if you are looking for specific files, use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove them:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

It's a small download you Save to the desktop, then Run the setup from there. Open the program, look for the offending files and remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back