File Renaming Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I downloaded a file with the extension .mkv. I am trying to rename it but every time I do so I am told the action can't be completed because the file is open in another program. I tried the Unlocker program and the file seemed to be open multiple times in Windows Explorer, although I had not opened the file. I simply right clicked it and tried to rename it .The Unlocker program unlocked the various instances of Explorer, but I still get the same message when I try to rename the file. I also used the Take Control program,but it made no difference.

My OS is Win7 Professional, 32 bit.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Roy Whitethread

An MKV file is a Matroska file. Matroska is an open source container format. It is an alternative to the popular AVI and MP4 formats
A simple rename will not make that file work as if it were an AVI or MP4 -- you're going to need to convert it.

First solve the 'already open in other process' issue and then look for a converter.

Thanks gguerra and jobeard. I scanned the file for malware and no threats were found.I eventually managed to rename the file after numerous attempts to solve the "already open in another process " issue. I did not rename the file extension, and knew that to convert it to avi I would have to use a converter program, which I did.I then tried to delete the original mkv file, but that also took numerous attempts. finally succeeding with the use of the Unlocker program.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Roy Whitethread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back