Files disappeared from account

NTAPRO

I temporarily logged onto the hidden admin account and I moved files from another account into the admin one and when I restarted the pc the files was gone of the admin account. I noticed that it was set to boot from usb ( at least thats what it looked like to me) and my ipod was plugged in, so I don't know if that may have affected it. While I was using the account to install some application, I noticed that when I installed mozilla, I kept getting an error that mozilla wasn't the default browser even though I installed it and selected make default browser, and when I restarted my history disappeared and I didn't have it set to not remember history. The icons on the quick launch went blank and said that the item has been removed and is no longer there. I noticed that multiple times, so I would have to believe that it was because it was set to boot from usb drive or something because when O switched it back to HDD, all the icons came up fine, I just had to reinstall one more time but my files I had previously copied from the other account are gone xD

What should I do?

sorry, but this is a cheap shot but by now you have learned a valuable lesson;
make sure you know what will happen before you do it.

describe precisely WHAT was moved; a directory (which one) or a group of individual files?

I noticed that it was set to boot from usb ... and my ipod was plugged in,
well the ipod will not boot the pc, but the drive letter assignments may be a factor.

What USB device was attached other than the iPod?

Did you look on that USB device and/or on the iPod for the files?

Well it was set to usb so I could try to use the system repair and reset the passwords . I tried using the repair system option in the menu to do a factory reset and that didn't work so I tried using the windows repair disc on a usb drive because this netbook doesn't have a cd drive and I don't have an external one yet. I moved a folder that had files files from the usb drive, I put them on the pc because it had to be formatted to install the password recovery stuff.

Well it was set to usb so I could try to use the system repair and reset the passwords . I tried using the repair system option in the menu to do a factory reset and that didn't work so I tried using the windows repair disc on a usb drive because this netbook doesn't have a cd drive and I don't have an external one yet. I moved a folder that had files files from the usb drive,
What was the name of that folder?
I put them on the pc
and you put it where (please cite the whole path to the location)?

The name of the folder was New folder (2) and it was on C:\Users\mogirl\Desktop and I moved it to C:\Users\PC-M\Desktop

that should have worked.

it would have been catastrophic to move C:\Users\mogirl to <another system's>C:\Users\<someOtherLoginID>

Well it did. I was using the files at first but everything disappeared after I put the settings back to normal. Then everything on the desktop went poof :(

here's my thought

when you booted from the USB, it became the C:\ (the real HD became something else)

moving anything to C:\ would then put it on the USB drive

resetting to boot from the HD, caused it to become the C:\ drive
and looking there is not the same as the <usb>C:\

Suggest:

boot from the HD
insert the USB
click My Computer and find the
USB DRIVE
click on it and investigate for the missing folder

Just checked and it wasn't there unfortunately. I do believe it might still be on it because it the amount of space left on the drive is 3gb less and that was the total size of the files.

Nmv, seems to have disappeared completely now. I might as well not worry about it now. I'll just have to use more caution next time. Thanks for your help :)

Back