Fingerprint Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmammen

Hello All!

I don't know how to work my fingerprint reader!

Here are some details about my comp and what I've done so far:
HP Compaq 6710b Laptop(i know i know, thats my problem right there... newaze :p)
Windows 7
Vista Drivers for the fingerprint reader are installed
Nothing relevant in control panel that i could find:
-Credential Manager
-Biometric Devices
-User Accounts

In Biometric Devices however, it does say that the reader is ready to use and that it is on and enabled to allow users to log on to windows using their fingerprints.

I've redownloaded the driver from the hp site but no change. Maybe because its a Vista driver and I'm using Windows 7?

Dunno what else to do to get this puppy working... any ideas???

windows 7 is not released - it is in beta. You will find limited help. Drivers are not out yet, although you can try XP and vista drivers to see if that helps. I suggest reverting to a legitimate OS.

I installed Windows 7 beta 32-bit on a second hard drive in my Vista Home Premium, SP1 computer, in a dual boot configuration. Windows 7 recognizes my on-board NIC, but asks for a driver. No Vista or XP driver will install. I also have a PCI serial card that is recognized, but no driver will install.

Windows 7 ultimate looks pretty, and it seems faster and a bit easier than Vista to navigate through and customize... If I could get Windows 7 online, I would be happier. I have tried the 64-bit version of Windows 7, with no change in the lack of Internet access

Bios

After a lot of unnecessary searching, finding and installing of drivers, I found the problem. The reader was disabled in the BIOS! Yeah, so i had to go to the bios, enable it there, and then reinstall the driver, and presto, everything worked like clockwork! Who knew that a new laptop would be shipped with the reader disabled in the bios? Also, I harassed HP tech support for literally hours to try and find the problem, if not the solution, and they were absolutely useless. Oh well.

Anyways, Thanks for the comments everyone!

-Raj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back