FireChat is the hyperlocal chat network that works without an Internet connection

Shawn Knight

Staff member
If the current crop of chat apps aren't to your liking, perhaps a new app out today called FireChat will suffice. The app is a hyperlocal chat network for iOS devices that functions even without an Internet connection, allowing users...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/56072-firechat-is-the-hyperlocal-chat-network-that-works-without-an-internet-connection.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

hellokitty[hk]

Am I reading that infographic correctly? It sends messages by relaying through random people along the direction of the destination person?

Jad Chaar

Am I reading that infographic correctly? It sends messages by relaying through random people along the direction of the destination person?
It is a crazy and useless idea. Why would anyone in the bluetooth range want to text another person? Just talk to them in person... sheesh!

DKRON

I used to use a similar app on my old Sony Ericson Walkman back at school 6 years ago, took half an hour the get a stable connection and your so close to them in the end yes talking is easier anyway

MannerMauler

So if you have 10 people, like say..., in a large room full of cubicles in a straight row a 100 ft apart you can get up to 1,200 ft coverage? no?

cliffordcooley

Now why would I want 6000 people burning up my battery life, because they can't stay off the send button?

Fail! Fail! Fail! And no but between.

jsonUK

Could be useful if people were at an event/conference set in an underground bunker with no signal/connection...

But having a barrage of anonymous msgs, not worth reading, seems a bit pointless.

G

Just a suggestion, when you write about a new app, piece of software, or company, can you please include a link to that company's website? Some would consider that good practice. I'd appreciate reading what they have to say about their own product.

Thanks.

Camikazi

Could be useful if people were at an event/conference set in an underground bunker with no signal/connection...

But having a barrage of anonymous msgs, not worth reading, seems a bit pointless.
Or you can use one of the available LAN chat programs and create a an ad-hoc network between the phones, or just have a random small wireless router and connect to it and use the program.