Firefox 2.0.0.2 and Spyware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klytus

Has anyone else noticed that when you install Firefox 2.0.0.2, you are also installing a spyware program known as "180search Assistant/Zango"? (Details here: http://research.spysweeper.com/search.php?serialnumber=hg443.

I wish I were making this up, but on two separate upgrades on two different machines, Spy Sweeper gave me an alert that it had quarantined this piece of spyware the moment Firefox re-started after the upgrade.

EDIT: I've heard that SpySweeper is notorious for generating false positives on spyware sweeps - but I run other utilities in addition to SpySweeper, and it has done a very good job at kepeing my system clean.

Zango is indeed spyware, but I can tell you for a fact, it isn`t anything to do with Firefox. Did you download Firefox from the official site?

Post a HJT log as per these instructions HERE.

Regards Howard :)

I did DL it from the official site (I used Help - Check For Updates) within Firefox.

Still, it seems like I jumped the gun on this. My bad.

I don`t blame you for being concerned, but I have exactly the same version of FF with the updates and I definitely don`t have a Zango infection. Post a HJT log anyway, just as a precaution.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back