Firefox 3.6 to arrive this year, 4.0 in late 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Although Mozilla released Firefox version 3.5 not long ago, the team has been showing mockups of future designs. In addition to embracing glass on Windows Vista and 7, future versions will have reorganized interfaces. Previews of Firefox 4.0 suggest that it may have a combined and relocated reload, stop and go buttons, as well as a tab sidebar, tabs on top, and many other UI tweaks -- none of which are set in stone.

Mozilla is now indicating that we may see the launch of Firefox 4.0 next October or November. It has also reportedly updated its roadmap for the release of Firefox 3.6 and 3.7, with the former expected to debut later this year and the latter to arrive in the second quarter of next year. There are also reports that Fennec 1.0 -- the mobile version of Firefox -- will be made available at the same time as Firefox 3.6, and Fennec 2.0 with Firefox 4.0.

If the suspense is killing you, fear not; pre-release builds are available. Feel free to download Firefox 3.6 and 3.7 at your own risk.

Permalink to story.

They are planning ahead. ''late 2010'' well they have build 3.6 and 3.7? Y if they have not released 3.6, if they allready have a 3.7? This does not make sence to me!

this is really stupid. the reason a lot of people use firefox is becuase of the add-ons and themes that can enable you to set up firefox however you see fit. they should be spending their time improving its performance, not the UI.

They *are* working on things to improve its performance. It's not like there are two 16-year-old kids in their parent's basement playing around with GUI layouts. They aren't going to come to market with a revamped version of Firefox and advertise: "Firefox 4.0, now with Glass! Enjoy!

I'd really, really, really like to see them fix the memory leaks in their existing releases before they work on "improving" the UI. I tried 3.5 but quickly returned to 3.4 because 3.5 WILL NOT SHUT DOWN. What's up with that? Maybe they've fixed this in 3.5.3, I'll go look, but really, how could a bug like that escape testing?

Let me add that the memory leaks have been there since the Netscape Navigator days and are frankly inexcusable. I'm using the "QuickRestart" add-on to combat the memory leaks. It's amazing to see the drop in memory used -- with the same pages open -- after a Firefox restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back