Firefox spyware?

Doctor Gallop

Hi,
I use IE on my windows 7 PC, but once in a while I will use Firefox because in IE my Gmail account will no longer allow me to drag & drop images into my email. They keep telling me that IE is out of date and needs to be updated, But it is updated.
Anyway,
after using the IE Browser all day, before I shut down for the night I run 'Super Anti Spyware' and it on average will have to clean 1 to 3 adware / tracking cookies / spyware.
But if I use Firefox for 10 minutes and then run Super Anti Spyware the results have shown up to 56 adware / tracking cookies / spyware items to be cleaned.
Why would that be so? Is there a way to prevent that from happening?
I have attached a screen capture after using Firefox for only 2 minutes!titled 1.jpg

I've seen similiar results on my W7 but don't worry bout it much. Are you allowing 3rd party cookies? If so, don't.

FWIW, you have to run Firefox in the "privacy" mode. That way, when you shut it down, it automatically clears all history and cookies.

Firefox should also have the "NoScript" extension installed. It's a lot more secure that way. But, you have to grant script exceptions / permissions on most sites to get the site to work properly. You can "white list", necessary sites, by granting permission, others you would grant temporary permissions, and those are automatically revoked when the browser. With NoScript running, you can even block the infamous "googleanalytics" blood hound tracker.

To use FF in privacy mode go to "Tools" > "Options" the on the "Security" tab, you'll see a drop down menu to the right of "Firefox will:" set it for "never remember history".

Then use "CCleaner" every time you close a browser, regardless of what browser you use.

You can get "NoScript at Mozilla's add ons site, and "CCleaner" @ our downloads section, or directly from "Piriform.com.

FWIW, you have to run Firefox in the "privacy" mode. That way, when you shut it down, it automatically clears all history and cookies.

Firefox should also have the "NoScript" extension installed. It's a lot more secure that way. But, you have to grant script exceptions / permissions on most sites to get the site to work properly. You can "white list", necessary sites, by granting permission, others you would grant temporary permissions, and those are automatically revoked when the browser. With NoScript running, you can even block the infamous "googleanalytics" blood hound tracker.

To use FF in privacy mode go to "Tools" > "Options" the on the "Security" tab, you'll see a drop down menu to the right of "Firefox will:" set it for "never remember history".

Then use "CCleaner" every time you close a browser, regardless of what browser you use.

You can get "NoScript at Mozilla's add ons site, and "CCleaner" @ our downloads section, or directly from "Piriform.com.
@captaincranky, a correction to your post, its Tools>Options>PRIVACY Tab, not security. At least on my FF its that way.

Yes, you're absolutely correct, it's the "Privacy" tab. I have sort an excuse though, read when I posted that....:D

@captaincranky , ok, almost 2am. Past your bedtime lol :)
OK, now you need a correction. In my time zone, that post time is reading 4:54 AM, or WELL past my bedtime. If not past my bedtime, at least past my point of maximum lucidity.

Another additional thought. When Firefox is set to, "never remember history", you can still reopen closed tabs, and a list of recently closed tabs", is available under "History", in the menu bar. You can also use the forward and back buttons normally. However, when you close a window, all memory of its contents are erased. So, sort of a cheat there, to get rid of some browsing history, without closing the browser as a whole.

Back