Firefox won't let me play Windows media player

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalGH

Has anyone else experience a problem with firefox where windows media player wont stream the actual video, but get the audio?

I'm using firefox 3.0

I notice you also have a problem with browsers and PDF files. It sounds like you might not understand the functions of a browser. The very basics is it gets you to where you want to go. Then if a specific program is required to properly display/play or otherwise use what you find, then that program will handle it.

This is determined in Folder options, found in the Control Panel. It is the "Open With" feature that you need to become familiar with. Basically it doesn't matter which browser you're using, applications are set there to open in specific content.

For Firefox: Tools> Content> here is a listing for what Firefox has set to use your Content. For instance:

Find Windows Media Audio or Video File in Content and click to Highlight> look on the right and the choice of which plugin to use is there. All of the Windows Media.........on the left should be set to use the Windows Media plug in in Firefox.

I think once you are aware of the settings in Folder Options and Firefox, you will be able to customize the system as you want it.

Sorry you must have mistake my post, or my post may have been misleading!

I am having a problem with the windows media player plugin.. not the actual downloaded video file. There a plenty of sites that still stream live content using WM. I am able to get the Audio, when the site loads, but the video is not displaying. I suspect Spybot might have deleted one of the registry entry, but I just can't figure out which one or locate a similar issue on Google.

I've had my computer for over 7 years, and only re-installed the OS twice in that period, so I think a basic hardware upgrade and OS reinstall is probably due.

Thanks for trying to help.

DigitalGH

Hi DigitalGH

I'd suggest start by trying the following:
1. Install and run CCleaner. Use it to delete and remove all the junk IE and FF internet cache files on your computer. It will all also remove other junk files laying around on your computer
=> You might want to review the check list of what looks for/deletes and NOT delete all your cookies though

2. Then in Firefox click Help->Check for Updates and try downloading and running with FF v3.5 which was recently released

Let us know if this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back