Firewall won't run & Network Connections empty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ineedhelp2

Hi Everyone!

I'm having some trouble starting my firewall and was hoping you could help. It says:
"Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows firewall/Internet connection sharing (ICS) service?"

When I click, yes, it says:
"Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)service"

I have windows XP, Bit Defender 10 antivirus and Windows Defender

Also want to mention that when I click on network connections: that folder is Empty

Any help would be appreciated.

run->services.msc

ensure all these are AUTOstart and running
  1. Network connections
  2. -Remote Procedure call
  3. Windows Management Instrumentation
  4. -Event log
  5. -Remote Procedure Call

jobeard - you are my hero. I can now sleep. I never before did a "run" and search there. I have started the Network connections, etc., and they are running and the firewall is on. I thank you very much. I really appreciated that.

One other problem I saw. Doing a search of programs I have, (at add/remove programs), I saw Windows Live One Care Safety Scanner. I tried to find the folder/file and there is none. I did a "search" and it shows a file but I assure you that file is no longer there. Says to go to C/Doc&Set/localsetting and there is no local setting file. So, I then deleted that 'windows live one care safety scanner' at the add/remove program spot and did another search and the same information comes up. But (to me) there is absolutely no file/folder.

I figured I'd delete it and then download it again but now I don't know. Do I even need it? I also have Spywareblaster 4.0 and Windows Defender. If I don't need the live one care - how do I get it off my computer if I can't find it but it shows up in a search? Any help would be appreciated.

Whenever you Install and then Remove any program, there are always bits left over (empty folders, and sometimes files in certain directories)

There are uninstaller programs that can fully clean any file associated with individual program installs, to remove all these left-overs, but normally they don't effect much anyway.

If you have an entry in Add/Remove programs that still exists, but the program itself has been removed (or you cannot find it) One way to remove it, is to re-download the program in question, install it fully, then un-install it fully.
Which should remove the entry from Add/Remove programs.

As for needing Windows Live One Care Safety Scanner; well it's a user choice thing, I don't have it, but thousands do. So it's up to you. You may need to read the full write up of all it does and then decide on its importance for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back