First build... suggestions?

Wyeth21

This is my first build for a desktop PC, and I wanted to get some feedback before I buy. I plan on using this for some heavy gaming, and ideally I want to run some pretty graphically-tolling games on high/ultra. I'm not an expert at computers so I thought that I would get some expert advice. I plan on running this system on a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS and have yet to do any research on keyboards and mice. I've got an old sound system that works pretty well and plugs in through an audio jack, but I may buy a new one soon. Thanks for the time and feedback, let me know if you have any suggestions!

• CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($174.98 @ Amazon)
  • Memory: Kingston 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3-1066 Memory ($97.74 @ Amazon)
  • Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
  • Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
  • Case: Thermaltake Element G ATX Mid Tower Case ($126.98 @ SuperBiiz)
  • Power Supply: Apevia 700W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($45.98 @ Newegg)
  • Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer ($21.99 @ Amazon)
  • Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($129.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $1167.62
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Alright, a couple things...

MOBO: I would grab this MOBO instead of the one you listed. ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ($160.00)

RAM: I would grab this ram instead of what you listed. 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz ($63.00) If it is for gaming you will not need 12GB of RAM. And, even so, you could have gotten faster RAM then what you chose.

Power supply: This is a common mistake among first time builders. You chose a pretty cheap PSU for a relatively beefy build. I would go with this PSU over the one you picked. Corsair Enthusiast Series 650TX ($90.00). You never want to go cheap on the PSU. If that goes bad the whole system could follow.

CPU Cooler: If you don't plan on overclocking, you will not need the aftermarket cooler. The stock cooler will keep the CPU cool enough.

I agree for the most part with Blk, but I would adjust your build further:
Motherboard: I dont really trust Asrock that much, and Gigabyte is ok. I only buy ASUS motherboards personally. The P8Z77V is a better choice that the one you chose.
CPU cooler: The newer Hyper 212 Evo has an improved thermal design over the Plus, so I would buy that instead.
GPU: I would personally go with a XFX 7950 instead since they offer a lifetime warranty.
HDD: I would go with a WD Caviar Black instead. It is faster and is just a few bucks more.
Power Supply: I wouldnt go cheap with PSUs since they dont fail often and dont need to be upgraded necessarily. I would recommend a 750W Gold PSU from either Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX. (You can go for 650W instead if you arent planning on SLIing in the future).
Case: It is really you choice, but $130 is a bit steep for a case in my opinion.

What is your total price range? We may be able to fit in a SSD if you want.

If you are planning on upgrading your sound system, then I would recommend a sound card if the system costs >$100.

My price range is from $1000 to $1200. I think I'll handle the sound card should I decide to get a newer system, because my older system is running perfectly right now. However, if I were to get a $150 sound system, what card would you recommend? Thanks for the advice on the motherboard, I think I'm going to go with the ASUS!

I would recommend you take all of my suggestions :D. Well, would it be a 5.1 or 7.1 channel sound system?

I would get the ASUS Xonar DGX. But it is really your choice. I am not really a sound expert, so dont quote me on the suggestion. But that is the best option from ASUS for 5.1 that is PCIe (PCI is fine, but PCIe is newer and higher bandwidth).

Unless you have a high end audio setup I wouldn't drop $150 on a sound card, you're much better off buying an SSD instead. The Xonar DGX is a good shout but if you have a dedicated sound card already from your current system I'd probably just stick with that.

Dedicated sound cards are pretty much useless unless you're using applications that require high-fidelity audio recording/reproduction. The onboard sound is good enough 90% of the time. It's your prerogative, however.

Gigabyte, ASUS are the creme-de-la-creme in the mobo world; ASRock is just a notch below either in my book. Any of them should be ok.

IMHO, focus on pumping most of the money into the GPU, and cutting down wherever possible on all other parts without compromising on quality. To that end, these are the changes I propose to your original build:
The above, along with your other original parts choices, will likely be within your original budget, and will provide a far higher level of gaming performance, IMHO.

Back