First Coffee Lake Refresh CPUs spotted in Vietnam

LemmingOverlrd

What just happened? Despite an early October release date, a Vietnamese store has taken to listing the upcoming 9th generation Intel Core processors. And yes, you'll notice that Intel's retail branding is using the "Core i9+", "Core i7+", (and so forth) naming scheme which means these are Optane-optimized CPUs.

Hanoi Computer, a tech retailer in Vietnam, has started listing the 9th generation Coffee Lake-R processors from Intel, which was expected to be announced on the 1st of October. We've moved on from rumor to confirmation, it seems.

While the listing includes the usual higher-end suspects such as the Core i9+ 9900K, the Core i7+ 9700K, and the Core i5+ 9600K, we also get some details on the rest of the line-up: the i5+ 9600, i5+ 9500, i5+ 9400 and i3+ 9100. Previous leaks had mentioned a Core i5 9300 CPU, but this one was nowhere to be found on the Vietnamese site. Thanks to the spec list we can finally confirm previous informations and begin drawing an idea of what to expect performance-wise.

Our first impression is that the 9th Gen CPUs are looking like tweaked 8th Gen cores, with little in the way of architectural improvements and a token 100/200MHz clock boost over the previous generation. This will hardly make you run out and grab one from a store shelf. It's rather disappointing, to be honest.

So here's what's on offer:

The well-known "K"-rated parts, which, we've been told, will sport soldered heat spreaders, match previous leaks we'd reported on.

Core i9+ 9900K Core i7+ 9700K Core i5+ 9600K
Base Clock 3.6GHz 3.6GHz 3.7GHz
Turbo Clock 5GHz 4.9GHz 4.6GHz
Core 8 8 6
Threads 16 8 6
iGPU UHD 630 UHD 630 UHD 630
iGPU Clock 350MHz/1.2GHz 350MHz/1.2GHz 350MHz/1.15GHz
L2 Cache 2MB 2MB 1.5MB
L3 Cache 16MB 12MB 9MB
Memory Support DDR4-2666 DDR4-2666 DDR4-2666
TDP 95W 95W 95W

At 3.6GHz, the 9900K will sport a lower base clock than the inevitable AMD Ryzen 2700X, but it sports higher boost clocks. It is almost guaranteed the 9900K will carry a much higher premium than the 2700X. On the other hand, price-wise, Intel will almost certainly position the Core i7+ 9700K directly against the 2700X. The Core i5+ 9600K with six physical cores might face off with the Ryzen 2500X spec-wise, but pricing is hard to determine. If properly priced, it might be the best seller of the lot.

When we get to the mid/low range, however, things get fuzzy.

Core i5+ 9600 Core i5+ 9500 Core i5+ 9400 Core i3+ 9100
Base Clock 3.1GHz 3GHz 2.9GHz 3.7GHz
Turbo Clock 4.5GHz 4.3GHz 4.1GHz -
Core 6 6 6 4
Threads 6 6 6 4
iGPU UHD 630 UHD 630 UHD 630 UHD 630
iGPU Clock 350MHz/1.15GHz 350MHz/1.15GHz 350MHz/1.15GHz 350MHz/1.15GHz
L2 Cache 1.5MB 1.5MB 1.5MB 1MB
L3 Cache 9MB 9MB 9MB 6MB
Memory Support DDR4-2666 DDR4-2666 DDR4-2666 DDR4-2400
TDP 65W 65W 65W 65W

While the remainder of the line-up does have some high-boosting CPUs, we see too many SKUs built on minor clock differences (100MHz). Creating these many SKUs, especially when you are supply constrained, might come back to bite you in the behind. The quadcore i3+ 9100 is an exception as it boasts no turbo boost, but has a relatively high base clock, in line with its predecessor, the Core i3 8100.

So, what can we add, other than looking at the specs? Pricing. Pricing will be key to determine what happens to this generation of Intel CPUs. More so than architectural improvements. Thanks to AMD's Ryzen, consumers have come to expect a lot of CPU for a little money, and this is an area where Intel is infamously unwilling to concede. Unfortunately, the site did not provide any price listings for the entries (you need to request a quote). We'll still have to wait for October 1st for prices and performance benchmarks to trickle in.

Permalink to story.

8 cores at 5GHz is going to be a monster to cool. If the 8700Ks numbers are anything to go by, you are going to need an extremely high end cooling solution if you want to OC. Those soldered rumors might be true, simply because the TIM couldn't handle all the heat at 5GHz.

8 cores at 5GHz is going to be a monster to cool. If the 8700Ks numbers are anything to go by, you are going to need an extremely high end cooling solution if you want to OC. Those soldered rumors might be true, simply because the TIM couldn't handle all the heat at 5GHz.

8700K when it just had the cheap TIM replaced with say liquid metal dropped about 20 degrees celsius load at stock temperatures. God's honest truth 20 degrees! After that it was a piece of cake to hit 5GHz and sustain it. 75 degree peak AVX load. No sweat. They were only hot because of that nasty thermal material.

Assuming Intel have done a good job with the solder on the 9900K I would expect decent results. They really all should be capable of 5GHz on all 8 cores with a good AIO water cooler and not melt down through your board.

8700K when it just had the cheap TIM replaced with say liquid metal dropped about 20 degrees celsius load at stock temperatures. God's honest truth 20 degrees! After that it was a piece of cake to hit 5GHz and sustain it. 75 degree peak AVX load. No sweat. They were only hot because of that nasty thermal material.

Assuming Intel have done a good job with the solder on the 9900K I would expect decent results. They really all should be capable of 5GHz on all 8 cores with a good AIO water cooler and not melt down through your board.

I can believe it, the same thing happened to my 3570K awhile back.

"Our first impression is that the 9th Gen CPUs are looking like tweaked 8th Gen cores, with little in the way of architectural improvements and a token 100/200MHz clock boost over the previous generation. This will hardly make you run out and grab one from a store shelf. It's rather disappointing, to be honest."

Lmao@disappointing. Maaaaybe, if you upgrade every year which most people DON'T! We all know this. Techies should be more impressed with how Intel was able to add more cores and clock speed with 5GHz turbos on a manufacturing process that has been near exhausted for the last few years due to complications with 10nm, but you think it's disappointing?! Wt....

What were the differences between Ryzen 1 and 2 again? Next to nothing. The best being better RAM compatibility and then some cache optimizations resulting in 3% IPC improvements. And we've been trashing Intel for 5-10% improvements? Ha! Did Intel not do more WITHOUT needing a new process? Huh? Current Ryzen chips have the exact same core counts and a minor clock bump over its predecessor. They also still overclock like toasters. Oh, and didnt this article also say the 9700K was going up against AMD's top dog?! But it's disappointing, Paul? You sound confused.

Is this the same site that just recently applauded Intel for manufacturing chipsets using 22nm instead of 14nm? See what I did there?

Not everyone is an enthusiast.

Yes, price will be the deciding factor for many customers (as it usually is), but this article is far too negative for little to no reason.

"Thanks to AMD's Ryzen, consumers have come to expect a lot of CPU for a little money, and this is an area where Intel is infamously unwilling to concede."

Yet Apple is a trillion dollar company....
I promise you, Paul, consumers are more familiar with Intel and should understand the price difference. Btw, 80% of consumers benefit from higher clocks versus more cores.

"Our first impression is that the 9th Gen CPUs are looking like tweaked 8th Gen cores, with little in the way of architectural improvements and a token 100/200MHz clock boost over the previous generation. This will hardly make you run out and grab one from a store shelf. It's rather disappointing, to be honest."

Lmao@disappointing. Maaaaybe, if you upgrade every year which most people DON'T! We all know this. Techies should be more impressed with how Intel was able to add more cores and clock speed with 5GHz turbos on a manufacturing process that has been near exhausted for the last few years due to complications with 10nm, but you think it's disappointing?! Wt....

What were the differences between Ryzen 1 and 2 again? Next to nothing. The best being better RAM compatibility and then some cache optimizations resulting in 3% IPC improvements. And we've been trashing Intel for 5-10% improvements? Ha! Did Intel not do more WITHOUT needing a new process? Huh? Current Ryzen chips have the exact same core counts and a minor clock bump over its predecessor. They also still overclock like toasters. Oh, and didnt this article also say the 9700K was going up against AMD's top dog?! But it's disappointing, Paul? You sound confused.

Is this the same site that just recently applauded Intel for manufacturing chipsets using 22nm instead of 14nm? See what I did there?

Not everyone is an enthusiast.

Yes, price will be the deciding factor for many customers (as it usually is), but this article is far too negative for little to no reason.

"Thanks to AMD's Ryzen, consumers have come to expect a lot of CPU for a little money, and this is an area where Intel is infamously unwilling to concede."

Yet Apple is a trillion dollar company....
I promise you, Paul, consumers are more familiar with Intel and should understand the price difference. Btw, 80% of consumers benefit from higher clocks versus more cores.

Wow, you really love Intel. Intel was increasing profit margins year after year by keeping the same number of cores and very slowly increasing IPC. It took the competition from a competitive AMD for Intel to suddenly double the core count and solder the cpus. Neither of these would have happened without decent AMD cpus. Even if you buy an intel CPU you benefit from this.

As far as I can tell the turbo's are basically marketing on most Intel CPU's. Guess how many fractions of a second a 15w 8 thread i7-8650U will stick to the 4.2ghz turbo before it throttles? The i7-8086K hits a 5ghz turbo...if a single core is being used. What can you possibly do on a windows PC that will only use one core (including background tasks)?

Also, the 2000 series is not Ryzen 2, that comes later. It is called "Ryzen+" by AMD because it was designed to be a minor refinement. The big improvements come next.

Wow, you really love Intel. Intel was increasing profit margins year after year by keeping the same number of cores and very slowly increasing IPC. It took the competition from a competitive AMD for Intel to suddenly double the core count and solder the cpus. Neither of these would have happened without decent AMD cpus. Even if you buy an intel CPU you benefit from this.

As far as I can tell the turbo's are basically marketing on most Intel CPU's...

I stopped reading here for obvious reasons. Go do some research, and then come back and try again.

Wow, you really love Intel. Intel was increasing profit margins year after year by keeping the same number of cores and very slowly increasing IPC.
Yeah lets put down a CPU manufacturer. Because the wannabe CPU manufacturer finally put out a CPU that competes. Yet you speak of Intel bias.

Yeah lets put down a CPU manufacturer. Because the wannabe CPU manufacturer f
Yeah lets put down a CPU manufacturer. Because the wannabe CPU manufacturer finally put out a CPU that competes. Yet you speak of Intel bias.

I'm not sure what you mean. Surely it's a good thing that Intel is forced to compete with AMD again? Neither is a wannabe CPU mwnufacturer, both produce CPUs that are worth buying ATM. Can you imagine how much being an enthusiast would suck if AMD went bust? The only.competition would be on the very low end from Qualcomm and apple.

As far as I can tell the turbo's are basically marketing on most Intel CPU's...

I stopped reading here for obvious reasons. Go do some research, and then come back and try again.
Once you learn the difference between ryzen + and ryzen 2 perhaps.

I find the 9 series more impressive than Ryzen 2xxx series because they perform better core for core and overclock far better.

Irrelevant because you knew right away what I meant...
You being all anal about it cause you feel I disrespected your team when it's not even about that my guy.

I don't have a 'team'. I have 3 Intel and 2 AMD Pcs at home. I have 5 Intel pcs at my business. I buy what is best which has usually been Intel. My point is that after years of stagnation we are finally seeing big progress....and that's due to AMD recent efforts. I thought that would be common sense my dude.

Back