First commercial 4K 120Hz monitor arrives, priced at $1400

midian182

Staff member

As we wait for the delayed 4K 144Hz monitors from Acer and Asus to arrive later this month, it appears that a relatively unknown Korean firm has got ahead of these brands by releasing the first commercially available UHD display with a 120Hz refresh rate.

Wasabi Mango’s ‘UHD430’ measures 43 inches and uses Display Port 1.4 for 4K@120Hz. The AH-IPS panel comes with 10-bit color support and a GTG response time of 5ms. There’s a contrast ratio of 1,200:1, a dynamic contrast ratio of 1,000,000:1 and viewing angles of ±178 degrees. It also features three HDMI 2.0 ports, a Toslink optical audio output, and a USB port.

Like the upcoming monitors from the big-name companies, the UHD430 does support HDR. However, it’s brightness level is 400 nits, which is the lowest requirement for VESA’s DisplayHDR 400 performance tier. The monitor isn’t DisplayHDR certified, either.

Another feature the UHD430 lacks is any adaptive sync technology. Upcoming 27-inch monitors such as the Asus PG27UQ and Acer X27 boast Nvidia’s G-Sync. Sources say the Asus and Acer models, which come with more features and better specs, are thought to cost around $3000. Wasabi Mango’s can be purchased from eBay for $1400.

For those with deep pockets that want it all, Nvidia’s Big Format Gaming Displays, which were unveiled at CES, are set to go on sale this summer. The 65-inch screens are 4k@120Hz, have HDR support, G-Sync, 1000 nits peak brightness, a full-array direct backlight, and DCI-P3 color gamut.

If you do want to game in 4K at over 60Hz, you’re going to need a monstrous PC (the upcoming GTX 1180 will probably help in that regard). Thankfully, graphics card prices have been falling recently. Check out our GPU pricing analysis feature to learn more.

Permalink to story.

I'd want to double-check if that's true 10-bit colour support or whether it's 8-bit with dithering. The ASUS support rep clarified that their upcoming monitor (PG27UQ) will be 8-bit with dithering. Since I'm going to assume they're using the same panel, I'd have thought this is may also only be 8-bit in reality.

After suffering a dead machine from Asus, I do not recommend it. It was working well but they told me to upgrade; it killed it and their help department could not figure out what to do.

Had good luck with Acer and I am willing to try this new no name brand.

But after getting burnt badly from Asus, (I call them @ss-U) I could never touch one of their products again.

After suffering a dead machine from Asus, I do not recommend it. It was working well but they told me to upgrade; it killed it and their help department could not figure out what to do.

But after getting burnt badly from Asus, (I call them @ss-U) I could never touch one of their products again.

I have an ACER LCD monitor from like 2003 that stays on almost 24/7 and last 2 weeks a few black pixels popped up. My next monitor will be ACER, these things are beast. It's a 22 or 23 inch I believe.

I have an ACER LCD monitor from like 2003 that stays on almost 24/7 and last 2 weeks a few black pixels popped up. My next monitor will be ACER, these things are beast. It's a 22 or 23 inch I believe.

Acer makes high quality products, I've been buying them for almost two decades for myself and customers. By far, they have the lowest problem rate.

One event is hardly something to go by. I've bought 6 Asus monitors, 4 Asus motherboards, 12 Asus GPUs, 1 Asus SSD, 1 Asus range extender, 2 Asus Routers, and 1 Asus gaming laptop since 2014 and only had two products requiring RMA, both GPUs, an R9 290X and a GTX 980ti; replaced by Asus with an R9 390X and a GTX 10, respectively.

Back