First Timer raid setup help on Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00b

Ok so I just purchased some new parts and I figured I would try a Raid 0 setup this time around now I've been reading all over the place about it but I've read a couple things that are making me wonder so I'm leaving these questions open for help.

1) Is it better to install Vista x64 Ultimate OS on a single drive then raid 2other drives and store everything else on them? or should I just put the OS and everything on 2 drives and call it a day?

2)What do I have to do to setup Raid 0 for both of the above setups as I said before I have never setup raid before and I heard its alot easier now with Vista because you don't have to use crappy floppy drives anymore?

3) now I mostly use my computer to game so this is the main reason why I want to setup a raid 0, how much of a performance increase would you say its going to give?

thanks for any responses in advance

n00b said:
3) now I mostly use my computer to game so this is the main reason why I want to setup a raid 0, how much of a performance increase would you say its going to give?

VERY SMALL. So small that the reliability issues it creates should scare you enough to
abandon the effort.

io time = seek + rotational + transfer
where seek ~10x the sum of the other two (ignoring caching hits)​

which says you need 10 drives to avoid the delay from seeks (major improvement)
and at least 5 drives to reduce seek time by 2

2 internet connection

dear sir

Pls kindly help regarding two internet connection, let say a wireless internet connecton ( smartbro ) and DSL line combined in one computer there is no complicated two both of us.

Please create a new topic for your issue under Storage & Networking :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back