Tech Stocking Stuffers: 18 awesome gifts under $50

Fitting a USB front panel

By laptox ยท 4 replies
Jan 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi guys,

    Been asked to fit a USB front panel into an existing desktop computer. Not something I have done before - wonder if anybody has any experience of this in particular:-

    Where do the cables from the various ports go ?

    Any recommendation of what part to buy (uk based)

    I was hoping to slot it in where the floppy disk drive currently sits - would this be ok ?

  2. JMMD

    JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 854

    As long as the motherboard can support the additional ports it's not a big deal at all. All you need is some free USB, Firewire, etc headers on the motherboard. Some even just patch to the rear ports but that's not a great system.
  3. Benny26

    Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,535   +51

    The motherboard manual will show you where to fit the wires for a USB extension panel (if it can support them of course). It would be better if you bought a front panel USB extension with a "Plug" end on it, like most newer one come with anyway (as opposed to individual wires coming from it, like oldish ones).
  4. laptox

    laptox TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 38

    Thanks couldn't give an example of what to but could you ?
  5. Mizzou

    Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 823

    Your probably looking for something like this Multi Port Panel for Front Drive Bay. The cables will attach to the appropriate headers on the motherboard (if they are present).

    The other alternative is to go with an external usb hub ... get the job done too.

Similar Topics

Add New Comment

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...