Flash drive write protection

Hi there guys,

First off, apologies for posting a topic which, going through the archives, seems to appear every 5 minutes, but I can't seem to find a solution for this method which has been annoying me pretty much constantly for about 3 months now.

I have a Kingston DataTraveler 200 64Gb Flash Drive, operating Windows 7. On this drive, there is no physical write protection, yet every piece of software I try to use to interact with the device tells me that the drive is write protected.

I've tried the regedit method, CHKDSK, booting in safe mode, some program called repair v2.9.1.1 (which even refused to pick up my drive) and trying on numerous different systems.

After I've connected the drive to the system and try to format the drive through Windows, the first attempt at a format throws up the error message "Windows was unable to complete the format", whereas subsequent attempts then say that "The disk is write protected".

From what I can recall, this problem first started when data was being transferred to it, and the stick became dislodged. Ever since, I've been unable to delete the partially transferred files from the stick, nor copy any new ones across. I can read and open the files however, so it appears that data integrity isn't the issue here.

Has anyone got absolutely any ideas on how to solve this before I end up throwing this thing under a train?

"this problem first started when data was being transferred to it, and the stick became dislodged"...

This mistake probably damaged the RAM chip inside the flash drive. Flash drives are fine for temporary storage but if the files are that important, you should back them up to CD, DVD or Blu-Ray discs and put the discs away in a safe place

Back