Floppy problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

vvmm

Hello!

I have a 5.25-inch floppy drive that makes me some problems...
When I insert a disk and read the contents, all works ok. It displays me the contents, I can cut/copy/paste files, I can run programs, read files etc.
If I remove the disk, and access the floppy again, it shows me the files that were on the removed disk instead of the message "There is no disk in drive". Surprisingly, I can even run programs or open files without the disk in drive! When I insert another disk, it shows me the same files that were on the first disk instead of the files on this disk and so on... What is the problem? It drives me nuts :mad:
Also, Windows cannot format the disks (maybe because they are 1.2MB and 360K, not 1.44MB). Is there any way to format them under Windows?

I hope someone will help me, :)
Mihai

Although you stated 5.25 inch floppy drive, do you mean 3.5 inch? In any case, regarding formatting, what happens when you right click on the drive in "My Computer?" Is "Format" one of the menu choices?
Surprisingly, I can even run programs or open files without the disk in drive! When I insert another disk, it shows me the same files that were on the first disk instead of the files on this disk and so on...
This does seem unusual. What happens if you try to save a file?

No, the drive is a 5.25-inch one.
When I try to format (yes, it is one of the right-click menu options) the disk it gives me the following error message:

Format Floppy Disk Drive (B:)
Windows can't format this type of disk. Insert a different disk and try again.

When I try to save a file without a disk in drive it gives me this error message:

An error has occured. The destination you have specified does not exist [...]

I was hoping it was the 3/5 inch drive. I don't have a 5.25 floppy drive so I don't really know that much about them. I do know that Windows XP does not support formatting the 5.25 disk. See this page for more information about that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309623.

It appears you can format 5.25 disks in DOS. Read here for more information: http://www.computerhope.com/formathl.htm

I've never done it myself so my help in this area is limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back