Flying high: Tears of the Kingdom sells over 10 million copies worldwide in first three...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Nintendo couldn't have scripted a better start for its latest Zelda title. The Japanese gaming giant sold more than 10 million copies of Tears of the Kingdom in its first three days on the market, making it the fastest selling Zelda game in history.

More than four million copies were sold in the Americas, Nintendo said, making Tears of the Kingdom the fastest selling Switch game and the fastest selling Nintendo game for any system in the region.

The first three days of sales were enough for Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom to break into the top 20 list of best selling Switch games, and it will need to sell just five million more copies to crack the top 10.

Its predecessor, Breath of the Wild, is just shy of 30 million copies sold since arriving in early 2017 as a Switch launch title. Only three Switch games have sold more copies than Breath of the Wild: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (31.09 million), Animal Crossing: New Horizons (42.21 million) and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (53.79 million).

Zelda is one of Nintendo's best original franchises. The first game was created by Japanese designers Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka, and arrived in Japan on February 21, 1986, as The Hyrule Fantasy: Legend of Zelda. It came to North America in 1987 as The Legend of Zelda.

As of March 2023, Nintendo has sold more than 130 million Zelda series games.

Related reading: Overclocking the Switch can boost performance in Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Tears of the Kingdom is available in digital and physical versions starting at $69.99 for the base game. Nintendo also has a limited edition OLED Switch modeled after the game for $359.99. Those looking for even more Zelda-themed gear might want to have a look at the Tears of the Kingdom Edition Switch Pro Controller and Switch Carrying Case.

Have you had a chance to play the new Zelda game yet? If so, does it live up to your expectations and the glowing reviews it has received thus far?

Permalink to story.

Half the people I talk to say they're going to emulate it on PC rather than play on Switch hardware :joy:

Switch emulation has come a long way in just the last few months. It's really amazing to see how well these games can run on a PC. I started playing TOTK on the Switch, but I just recently installed it on YUZU and it runs pretty well, but definitely not perfect. And as far as 60 fps, not with Vulkan backend on 5800x/3080 at least. I would try OpenGL, but I don't have all the shaders compiled like I do for Vulkan. Still looking for DL of full GL shaders, but haven't found a safe one. So, for now, its 30 fps (but a really smooth 30 fps 95% of the time). I have had 2 crashes.

But, the primary reason I emulate it is because I usually only get to play Saturday mornings before the wife gets up, which is when my kids are playing too. So, that way, I can emulate the game and my kids can use the Switch. I did purchase the game though.

Switch emulation has come a long way in just the last few months. It's really amazing to see how well these games can run on a PC. I started playing TOTK on the Switch, but I just recently installed it on YUZU and it runs pretty well, but definitely not perfect. And as far as 60 fps, not with Vulkan backend on 5800x/3080 at least. I would try OpenGL, but I don't have all the shaders compiled like I do for Vulkan. Still looking for DL of full GL shaders, but haven't found a safe one. So, for now, its 30 fps (but a really smooth 30 fps 95% of the time). I have had 2 crashes.

But, the primary reason I emulate it is because I usually only get to play Saturday mornings before the wife gets up, which is when my kids are playing too. So, that way, I can emulate the game and my kids can use the Switch. I did purchase the game though.

Last few months? I emulated BOTW with like 100+ fps at 4K with graphic packs on top back in 2018 or so. I completed the game and had 100+ hours and no crashes, only a few audio issues here and then, nothing gamebreaking

Nintendo should really release a Switch 2 or Pro at this point. I would gladly pay them for a dedicated TV machine that plays Switch games at 4K/60 with HDR. I don't care about mobile gaming >at all< so it makes no sense for me to buy a Switch when it's primarily a handheld made for exactly this

Last few months? I emulated BOTW with like 100+ fps at 4K with graphic packs on top back in 2018 or so. I completed the game and had 100+ hours and no crashes, only a few audio issues here and then, nothing gamebreaking

Nintendo should really release a Switch 2 or Pro at this point. I would gladly pay them for a dedicated TV machine that plays Switch games at 4K/60 with HDR. I don't care about mobile gaming >at all< so it makes no sense for me to buy a Switch when it's primarily a handheld made for exactly this
Same boat, I nearly did not buy TOtK because I wanted to wait for the new hardware, but decided to go for it so I can at least justify when I choose to emulate it before that.
I big fupah on Nintendo for not upping ram a bit and clocks on the OLED model, id wager that would have sold gangbusters otherwise, I know I would own one.

I'm not sure what CPU you were using. I did this too, with CEMU, but not with YUZU or Ryujinx. With CEMU, I easily got 120 fps at 4K with BOTW, it was by far superior to YUZU at the time and is still now. It also had texture packs and whole host of other available enhancements. With YUZU, neither BOTW or TOTK can be played at 100+ FPS using a 5800X at least. In fact, the 5800x is capable of about 45 to 60 fps in TOTK depending on the area of the game. I'm sure something like a 7700x or 7800x3d or a 12600K or something better could get closer to sustaining 60fps.

Back