Foldable iPhone may not arrive until 2025, 20-inch foldable MacBook in the works

nanoguy

Staff member
Rumor mill: A foldable iPhone has supposedly been in development at Apple for years, but that doesn't mean we'll see one anytime soon. Rumors suggested the company targeted a 2023 launch window, but supply chain analysts believe 2025 is a more realistic timeframe. Apple could also be working on a foldable MacBook, but that's an even more distant dream.

Apple has reportedly been toying with the idea of a foldable iPhone for some time. However, the Cupertino giant isn't known for rushing to bring a new product category to market before everyone else. Still, industry watchers expect the foldable smartphone market to reach 27.6 million units in 2025, representing a healthy growth compared to last year's 7.1 million units.

According to Display Supply Chain Consultants (DS, Apple may have delayed its first foldable iPhone until 2025. After talking to various sources along the supply chain, DSCC analyst Ross Young believes the company is in no hurry to make one. However, Apple is currently considering creating a foldable all-screen MacBook with a display size of around 20 inches and a resolution close to 4K.

The new device would reportedly be a dual-use product. When folded to laptop form, it would work as a notebook with a full-size on-screen keyboard—pretty much the same concept explored by Lenovo with its ThinkPad X1 Fold. The new Mac could act as a sizeable portable monitor when completely unfolded. Young believes this device could be unveiled sometime in 2026 or 2027.

As of this writing, the only company with significant success in the foldable market is Samsung. The Korean giant has had a difficult start with the original Galaxy Fold but has since fixed many of its most glaring design flaws and even created a touchscreen analog of the flip phone in the form of the Galaxy Z Flip. Huawei has replicated this concept in China, while Google and TCL are working on more affordable alternatives.

Consumers bought 2.6 million foldable phones in the third quarter of 2021, and 93 percent of those devices were from Samsung. Apple’s entry into this market would no doubt help popularize this form factor, and renowned analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes the Cupertino giant could ship anywhere between 15 to 20 million foldable iPhones in the first year.

Permalink to story.

Foldables are popular. I'd consider a Samsung Fold after another 3-4 generations of improving it. Its already improved dramatically in 3 generations, but still too expensive. I don't see the point of the Flip. One only shudders at what a POS the Google foldable will be with their deplorable QC.

My iPhone 13 1TB is a perfect product as is. I don't care for the folding ability - it's an extra step I don't care about.

1TB storage and a touch ID scanner is all I really care about for the next iPhone.

I truly doubt Apple will be bringing a folding iPhone to market anytime soon, but even if they did, I'll stick with the candybar style. Glass don't fold. Why risk losing sensitivity of the display?

Foldable = another reason for degradation. because you'll have to buy a new foldable after 1 year bc of all the dead pixels
A guy at work just bought a Galaxy Z Fold 3 and it failed at the hinge point within three weeks. While it looks neat and all, a folding screen introduces a HUGE point of failure. He's getting the phone replaced, but I suspect he'll receive a crappy refurb through Asurion.

I am no fan of foldable phones, at least not at this point. The concept sounds cool, but in practice, I don't think it works well. The reasons are,
1. Odd resolution/ aspect ratio - In most cases, I don't think the screen is fully utilized. Even web browsing, once they detect that we are using mobile browsers, we get a mobile version of the site which is unlikely to benefit from the aspect ratio.

2. Folding mechanism don't look like they are durable and another point of failure.
3. Thickness of phones - While from the surface, they look slighly smaller than a big phone like iPhone Pro Max series, it is thicker than any traditional smart phones.

Having said that, I am not surprise that Apple will take forever to release something "new". I've been waiting for an iPhone with an under screen fingerprint reader for many years. And till now, its all rumors. Even the latest rumors said that the technology won't make it on the iPhone 14. They used to argue that they don't adopt a particular technology because it's too early and will not provide a good experience. They basically have no excuse other than the fact that they are either not willing to do it, thus dragging their feet, or they are incapable of implementing it.

My iPhone 13 1TB is a perfect product as is. I don't care for the folding ability - it's an extra step I don't care about.

1TB storage and a touch ID scanner is all I really care about for the next iPhone.

I truly doubt Apple will be bringing a folding iPhone to market anytime soon, but even if they did, I'll stick with the candybar style. Glass don't fold. Why risk losing sensitivity of the display?

You know, everyone also mocked wireless charging when it was first introduced (especially the iFolk), describing it as a fad, and not having enough throughput to make wireless charging a mainstream success. And then we fast forward to reality today.

iPhones will be foldable one day, either horizontally or vertically - this much is a guarantee. Android will lead the charge in innovation as they have since the regrettable passing of Steve Jobs. Apple will be 5-10 years late to the party as they have historically been with actual innovative technology, but when they get there, it'll undoubtedly be the 'next big thing'.

And the tune of what's considered 'meaningful' to 9to5mac will also change accordingly.

You know, everyone also mocked wireless charging when it was first introduced (especially the iFolk), describing it as a fad, and not having enough throughput to make wireless charging a mainstream success. And then we fast forward to reality today.

iPhones will be foldable one day, either horizontally or vertically - this much is a guarantee. Android will lead the charge in innovation as they have since the regrettable passing of Steve Jobs. Apple will be 5-10 years late to the party as they have historically been with actual innovative technology, but when they get there, it'll undoubtedly be the 'next big thing'.

And the tune of what's considered 'meaningful' to 9to5mac will also change accordingly.

I've yet to see anyone in RL use wireless charging.

Apple isn't going to produce a foldable Mac for one simple reason: it would cannibalize iPad sales.

Apple Fanboy: OMG! I've never seen such innovation before! Apple is making a screen that's foldable!

money-shutup.gif

I like the idea of a phone that turns into a tablet but I'll wait for the cost to be reasonable. Currently everyone is paying over the nose for beta products.

Im not interested in a folding phone, I like my phone small, slim and easy to slip into skinny jeans. However a folding ipad would be awesome. I have a folio cover on it anyway.

Im not interested in a folding phone, I like my phone small, slim and easy to slip into skinny jeans. However a folding ipad would be awesome. I have a folio cover on it anyway.
15+ years ago the flip phone was awesome! Folded right in half, took up half the space in your pocket a non-flip phone required. Awesome! I even had one that had an extendable antenna....

These lousy flip phones with bendable screens these days...all these young kids these days thinking it's the latest and greatest thing ever.

Wireless charging is a huge waste of electricity. Fast charging a phone wirelessly takes substantially more power than with a charging cable.

Wireless charging is a huge waste of electricity. Fast charging a phone wirelessly takes substantially more power than with a charging cable.
Very true - for now, at least.

The point being made wasn't highlighting the effeciencies of wireless charging, it was instead to highlight the fact that iPhones have (I.e. wireless charging, fingerprint, facial unlock, etc etc etc) continue to be the followers, not leaders of innovation; and just because there isn't feature y in an iDevice now, doesn't mean mainstream success of said feature (on Android) won't be the cause to add that function in - regardless of actual functionality.

Back