Following Disney's lead, Netflix ends free trials in the US

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Your thoughts: Is Netflix a product that has been around long enough that people are going to know by this point whether or not they want to pay for it? Is this just a move to deter those that exploit free trials indefinitely? Is Netflix making a mistake here by following Disney's lead?

Disney earlier this year made the controversial move to eliminate free trials with its new on-demand subscription video service. Now, Netflix is following suit.

The streaming giant on Tuesday confirmed to The Verge that it has eliminated the ability for interested parties to take the service for a test drive prior to shelling out money for a subscription.

The company had started phasing out free trials in other markets earlier this month but this is the first we have heard of the practice in the US.

A spokesperson told the publication they are considering other ways to promote content in the US to attract new members.

Indeed, there’s now a portal where non-subscribers can check out some of Netflix’s offerings free of charge. Visiting the site as of this writing, I see Stranger Things, Murder Mystery, Bird Box and The Two Popes on offer, among others. To watch, simply press the “Play” button. No sign-ups or trials required.

Netflix is following Disney down the trial-free path, but not everyone is on board. Just last week, Apple extended free trials of Apple TV Plus for a few additional months, to February 2021. Clearly, not everyone approaches free trials the same.

Masthead credit: Mykolastock

Permalink to story.

"I'll drop $1800 for a gpu but I'll be damned if I pay $12 a month for legal content"

Well, I mean, its not the case of ONLY $12 a month, it kinda sucks some of the shows we like are on different "services" which require money to watch, considering we'd most likely be subbing for that 1 show lol.

Plus a GPU for $1,800 is crazy, Most I paid was $1000 which was for the 2080Ti, crazy money too in my eyes considering.

Basic rule of marketing .... anytime you take something away from a client, it will work against you unless you give them something twice as valuable ..... Looks like another good service could bite the dust or be gobbled up by a bigger competitor ......

Free trials need to die, or at least get massive restrictions (24 or even better 12 hours at most and no Tier 1 programming). Netflix is $8 for a month and Disney is $7. Pay for a month and binge till your eyes glow red.

Make the deadbeats pay up or leave.

Last edited:
A spokesperson told the publication they are considering other ways to promote content in the US to attract new members.

All of them are putting 1-3 episodes on free services like Tubi, Roku channel, and even Youtube.

"Indeed, there’s now a portal where non-subscribers can check out some of Netflix’s offerings free of charge. Visiting the site as of this writing, I see Stranger Things, Murder Mystery, Bird Box and The Two Popes on offer, among others. To watch, simply press the “Play” button. No sign-ups or trials required."

In my mind this qualifies as a free trial. Buy hey that's just my opinion

"Indeed, there’s now a portal where non-subscribers can check out some of Netflix’s offerings free of charge. Visiting the site as of this writing, I see Stranger Things, Murder Mystery, Bird Box and The Two Popes on offer, among others. To watch, simply press the “Play” button. No sign-ups or trials required."

In my mind this qualifies as a free trial. Buy hey that's just my opinion
It is no doubt but really just to test the service. There are only 10 things to pick from.

Back