Following HBO's cue, CBS launches standalone subscription service

Shawn Knight

Staff member

cbs offer stand- web subscription service streaming live tv aereo hbo online streaming subscription service cbs all access

CBS has announced plans to offer a standalone streaming service called CBS All Access. The subscription-based service will allow subscribers to watch live television as well as thousands of new and past hit shows on-demand without having to pay for a cable subscription.

The traditional television model is changing faster than most anticipated.

The $5.99 per month service does carry a few restrictions. While CBS is making current primetime shows available, they’ll only show up on the service the day after they air. What’s more, live streaming of local CBS content is only being offered in the following 14 US markets at launch: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, San Francisco, Boston, Detroit, Minneapolis, Miami, Denver, Sacramento, Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

Based on the wording used in the press release, it sounds as though subscribers will have to contend with advertising in all instances except when watching CBS Classics like Star Trek, Cheers, MacGuyver and Twin Peaks.

Worse yet, coverage of sporting events like the NFL are not available for live streaming through CBS All Access. And let’s not forget that we’re talking about CBS – a network that is available over-the-air for free with an antenna. Why would anyone want to pay for something that is already free?

One word: convenience. Being able to access content online from your smartphone or tablet grants a wealth of freedom regarding how, when and where we consume media.

The announcement comes just one day after Time Warner-owned HBO revealed plans to offer a similar standalone service for its content. And with Aereo currently sidelined, I suspect we’ll see similar moves by other major networks in the coming weeks and months.

Permalink to story.

$5/mo for a channel that is already free over the air and they're still restricting it to only show up 24 hours after it aired?

That's just ridiculous. I bought an HDHomerun a few years ago so we can watch Live over-the-air TV on any of our computers or android devices. One of my antennas are attached to an HTPC that just records anything we'd like to save for later.

Much simpler, less restrictions AND you can fast forward commercials that CBS will inevitably force you to watch on your paid subscription.

Too bad I detest 99.99997% of all American made commercial television.

Brooklyn Nine Nine is the only show I care for! LOL

Sorry CBS.

$5/mo for a channel that is already free over the air and they're still restricting it to only show up 24 hours after it aired?

That's just ridiculous. I bought an HDHomerun a few years ago so we can watch Live over-the-air TV on any of our computers or android devices. One of my antennas are attached to an HTPC that just records anything we'd like to save for later.

Much simpler, less restrictions AND you can fast forward commercials that CBS will inevitably force you to watch on your paid subscription.

I also have an HTPC hooked up to an antenna and I can record anything I want too... but there's still a huge market for this. it's not just about deciding when you watch a show... this will allow you to watch old episodes. right now there are no CBS shows on netflix or hulu or anything else. People will love to watch old episodes of their favorite shows, and new viewers can watch a series from the beginning and do it 3 episodes a night if they want.
Not to mention the possibility of kids shows that Netflix doesn't have.

I'll don't know the CBS catalog, but I'll bet this gets decently popular.

So they'll be cutting off the free streaming service on their website? Oh well, I'll miss BBT even though the show isn't that great anymore. Most of the rhetoric has become repetitive and tiresome but I still keep up with it anyway. I refuse to "tune in" in a day and age that I shouldn't have to watch tv on a schedule. I will not be a slave to a TV network.

Back