Following the UK, the US is now on the verge of losing its measles-elimination status

Humza

Staff member
In context: After successfully becoming measles-free in the year 2000, the US is likely to get that status revoked due to the massive outbreak of the disease around the country, especially in the New York state, where it quickly began to spread as of September 30, 2018. With 600 confirmed cases, the tally quickly went up to 900 the next day following a similar outbreak in the nearby Rockland County. Since then, the measles outbreak has spread to twenty-nine other states, which although were short-lived, have sickened more than 1,200 people this year alone. With 12 new cases of measles emerging this week, most of them in New York, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention fears that things are likely to get worse as children return to school early next month and congregate in close-quarters.

Despite the efforts from YouTube, Indiegogo and Facebook to crack down on anti-vax content, the misinformation that rides on huge waves of the internet isn't easy to control and now that it's been ashore to most places around the world, the US is on the brink of losing it's measles-elimination status, which the World Health Organization revoked for the UK earlier this month.

Understandably, clamping down on diseases like measles isn't just a tech or med responsibility but also a social one, and as unfortunate as it is, the WHO reported that the first three months of 2019 have seen a 300% rise in measles cases worldwide compared to the same period last year.

For the US, there's a "reasonable chance" that it'll lose its measles elimination status in October, said Dr Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, reports CNN.

She further said that it was "incredibly frustrating and upsetting to the public health community that we may lose measles elimination status, because we do have a safe and effective vaccine," and that the CDC plans to release a detailed statement next week about the country's measles elimination status.

Speaking on the role of Social Media Platforms for disseminating health information, WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that "Misinformation about vaccines is as contagious and dangerous as the diseases it helps to spread," adding that it spreads far and fast on these social media platforms including during critical vaccination campaigns in countries like those for polio in Pakistan or yellow fever in South America.

Citing the need to protect people's health and lives as a collective effort, he stated that many people get their information from social media platforms and these will likely be a major source of information for the next generation of parents.

With vaccines saving at least 2 million lives every year, a social media response to ensure broad trust in vaccination is just one part of a comprehensive approach that also requires "substantive efforts by governments in building health systems that are worthy of that trust and respond to parents’ needs and concerns."

Permalink to story.

You're leaving out three very important things:

1. Many vaccines are experimental at best
2. Many vaccines have aluminium and heavy metals and other poison inside that can instantly ruin you or slowly.

3. Foreigners. I don't know about the USA but over here in Europe the influx of people from Afrika/Arabia/Eastern Europe has been a catastrophy since none of them have any vaccines and neither do they document it.

We got Tuberculosis among other things and babies died due to deseases that were long since gone but reappeared. Especially due to the long absence of these deseases we westen europeans got weak since our body no longer knew how to fend them off.

This is one of the primary reasons why illegal immigration needs to completely stop and every migrant should go through a health-check. But due to lack of doctors especially in Germany even the legal ones are not checked and that is why deseases from across the globe can freely pour deep into the heart of europe.

The WHO can see a 300% increase now because it checks in developed countries but certainly not in the 3rd world. What you see here is the result of 2015.

Thanks Obama

Last edited:
While Freedom of Speech is one of the most important aspects of the Constitution I think the prohibition of false speech, especially when it affects the health and welfare of citizens might be equally important. It has yet to be scientifically proven that vaccinations are in any way connected to Downs Syndrome or any similar effect but it has been proven over and over again that the lack of vaccinations leads to hundreds and thousands of deaths each year in the US alone.

Web sites like YouTube should strongly consider labeling of any video that differentiates between fact and editorial opinion, especially for younger readers (under the age of 55) that may not remember earlier TV News broadcasts that specifically labeled the same. These days the mixing of both purely for entertainment is all too often assumed to be factual, thus spreading sometimes dangerous misinformation.

In a world that relies heavily upon so many alternative news outlets and general distrust of anything attached to the government, it is vital for us to create honest, dependable sources of informative news that is not or can not be corrupted.

2. Many vaccines have aluminium and heavy metals and other poison inside that can instantly ruin you or slowly.

3. Foreigners. I don't know about the USA but over here in Europe the influx of people from Afrika/Arabia/Eastern Europe has been a catastrophy since none of them have any vaccines and neither do they document it.

We got Tuberculosis among other things and babies died due to deseases that were long since gone but reappeared. Especially due to the long absence of these deseases we westen europeans got weak since our body no longer knew how to fend them off.

This is one of the primary reasons why illegal immigration needs to completely stop and every migrant should go through a health-check. But due to lack of doctors especially in Germany even the legal ones are not checked and that is why deseases from across the globe can freely pour deep into the heart of europe.

The WHO can see a 300% increase now because it checks in developed countries but certainly not in the 3rd world. What you see here is the result of 2015.

Thanks Obama

Sources?

Thanks Obama
You complain that vaccines are harmful, but then you complain that immigrants are unvaccinated. You need to logic-check your conspiracy theories before you launch them. Thanks, anyway.

Which conspiracy theories?
Did I write that all vaccine is bad?

Right now Johnson & Johnson are in the news. Their crimes used to be a conspiracy theory.

Obedience demands sacrifices.

If I were an immigrant, I would go out of my way to blame this situation on "the spread of vaccine misinformation" - rather than on the far more probable cause: The flood of diseased 3rd world people moving into the United States.

Let's see here. Statements 1 & 2 obviously express an anti-vaxx mentality.
Statement 3 obviously expresses the necessity to get vaccines, but apparently for immigrants only.

There's a total logical disconnect between statements 1 & 2 and statement 3.

So, since immigrants come from sh!thole countries, at least according to the US' feckless leader, then anyone coming from one of those counties must be responsible for reintroducing diseases once thought eradicated. In fact, immigrants are the cause of all problems in the world today.

Funny thing, there is not one country in the world, except perhaps the country that is considered the origin of modern humans, where humans are not immigrants. Therefore, I guess the entire world is full of sh!thole countries - except, of course, that country in Africa that is considered the origin of modern humans.

Statement 3 obviously expresses the necessity to get vaccines, but apparently for immigrants only.

There's a total logical disconnect between statements 1 & 2 and statement 3.

So, since immigrants come from sh!thole countries, at least according to the US' feckless leader, then anyone coming from one of those counties must be responsible for reintroducing diseases once thought eradicated. In fact, immigrants are the cause of all problems in the world today.

Funny thing, there is not one country in the world, except perhaps the country that is considered the origin of modern humans, where humans are not immigrants. Therefore, I guess the entire world is full of sh!thole countries - except, of course, that country in Africa that is considered the origin of modern humans.

You could have just typed, "OK, I admit my argument is based entirely on emotion rather than science" and saved some time.

Name a vaccine on the recommended list that is experimental, with independently confirmed proof of your claim. This sounds like someone parroting antivax FUD.

Go ahead and provide any proof of those claims. This *also* sounds like someone parroting antivax FUD.

The rest isn't even worth quoting.

So you’re admitting the nonsense you posted was exactly that.... nonsense?

It’s people like you, who I’m hoping are just doing this for a laugh (you can’t really be that stupid, can you?), that make genuine id1ots forgo vaccination and endanger the rest of us....

If only there was a vaccine for stupid....

I received plenty of mandatory vaccines. Those made sense and were tried and tested.
I am not anti vaccination, I am against a free pass to just inject whatever poison we can find at any given opportunity into the bodies of our men, woman and children. Especially woman pay double the price when they get pregnant. The baby absorbs the poison.

Vaccination is a business. The pharma industry likes making business as we can see from the recent Johnson & Johnson incident. A perfect example for conspiracy theory turned truth.

Statement 3 does not say that only immigrants should receive it. That is your fabrication. Its a factual statement that vaccination in these parts of the world is between poor and non existant. The more people that come from there the weaker our protection gets.

In fact the more people that come the more you have to vaccinate yourself. Vaccination only protects from that one mutation and that one virus, but if it mutates then you can be attacked by the virus again. Vaccines are also not an unlimited ressource.

You all would do well to learn how to read statements properly and understand them properly. The moment your imagination kicks in to fabricate new messages is the moment where you completely falsify the original message. Any further argumentation becomes futile.

Next about the "sithhole countries" statement. Trump denied ever having refered to other countries as sithholes. It was some FAKE NEWS media that reported that some anonymous source within a confidential meeting claimed anonymously that Trump might have said such a thing.

In a world that relies heavily upon so many alternative news outlets and general distrust of anything attached to the government, it is vital for us to create honest, dependable sources of informative news that is not or can not be corrupted.

I'll just leave his quote here and use it for my own purposes.

Today in swiss television they showed a report about Pakistan. They have a famine since forever. Their solution is that every household should receive 5 chicken and a ****.

The result will be, that these weakened people (famine) will infect themselves with various deseases from these chicken that will walk around in their bathroom and living room and bedroom and they will defecate all over the house.

Best of all that family that didn't have enough money for food had 7 children. You are free to let your imagination go wild with that one. Now we see tensions between Pakistan and India rise, it could escalate into a regional nuclear war. Either way it will not help that family with their 7 children but I bet once they receive the chicken they will make at least 3 more children and then demand 5 more chicken.

Now I bet you think this is all offtopic. It is not. This is a breeding place for new viruses and bacteria and deseases. Half of their children will want to come here. Maybe 3 of them arrive. if one of them has a new virus or mutation inside of him, then we can all go and get our next injection.

But I guess this is clima neutral as long as some Germans stop driving cars and become vegan.

Last edited:
Wow... so your solution is ban immigration... nice to see you’re thinking outside the box...

Here’s a thought.... maybe we vaccinate our immigrants too... and take advantage of the skills and intellect they bring to our countries.... you do realize that immigration is what makes many countries successful....

While Freedom of Speech is one of the most important aspects of the Constitution I think the prohibition of false speech, especially when it affects the health and welfare of citizens might be equally important. It has yet to be scientifically proven that vaccinations are in any way connected to Downs Syndrome or any similar effect but it has been proven over and over again that the lack of vaccinations leads to hundreds and thousands of deaths each year in the US alone.

Web sites like YouTube should strongly consider labeling of any video that differentiates between fact and editorial opinion, especially for younger readers (under the age of 55) that may not remember earlier TV News broadcasts that specifically labeled the same. These days the mixing of both purely for entertainment is all too often assumed to be factual, thus spreading sometimes dangerous misinformation.

And for this, can you rely on officials who are on the big pharma payroll?? See the scandal about MMR? Nobody EVER said vaccines were useless or that you should avoid getting vaccines. It's the combination of the 3 in 1 along with aluminum that can cause problems for babies if they get vaccines when too young, as their immune system is not mature and does not respond to the vaccine in a desirable way. Since big pharma wants to push their combined vaccines, they keep telling BS with the complicity of the media. I am NOT against vaccines, I got vaccined when I was a child (even got really sick because some ***** gave me 2 shots of the same vaccine...), but if I am to be vaccined, I DEMAND that it be the safest possible and that I get some RELIABLE information and not the usual BS from the PR spin doctors in the pharma companies or officials, or the media. Look *carefully* for the story behind Andrew Wakefield, and ask yourself some questions... Believe me, it's worth it...
Big pharma is to blame if people lost the confidence they had in vaccination. Proof that such a sentitive matter should not be left in private hands and private interests should not dictate health policies. BTW I'm French, and I'm sick and tired of reading BS, I can look for info, reliable info, and forge an opinion, I don't need anyone to tell me what to think and ask me to believe them and take them at their word!

And for this, can you rely on officials who are on the big pharma payroll?? See the scandal about MMR? Nobody EVER said vaccines were useless or that you should avoid getting vaccines. It's the combination of the 3 in 1 along with aluminum that can cause problems for babies if they get vaccines when too young, as their immune system is not mature and does not respond to the vaccine in a desirable way. Since big pharma wants to push their combined vaccines, they keep telling BS with the complicity of the media. I am NOT against vaccines, I got vaccined when I was a child (even got really sick because some ***** gave me 2 shots of the same vaccine...), but if I am to be vaccined, I DEMAND that it be the safest possible and that I get some RELIABLE information and not the usual BS from the PR spin doctors in the pharma companies or officials, or the media. Look *carefully* for the story behind Andrew Wakefield, and ask yourself some questions... Believe me, it's worth it...
Big pharma is to blame if people lost the confidence they had in vaccination. Proof that such a sentitive matter should not be left in private hands and private interests should not dictate health policies. BTW I'm French, and I'm sick and tired of reading BS, I can look for info, reliable info, and forge an opinion, I don't need anyone to tell me what to think and ask me to believe them and take them at their word!
While you make some valid points (Big Pharma are the real super villains in our world, forget terrorists!), the problem with the average person is that they're not very bright - and they're also fairly lazy...

So if we want these people to vaccinate, we are going to have to make sure jerkfaces like Nero7 aren't posting stuff about how vaccinations may have alluminum, etc - as the average person sees that and decides, "no vaccination".

The real misinformation is on the definition of "vaccine":

When outbreaks occur, people see that vaccinated people are getting the disease too, and claim that since the vaccines don't work, we shouldn't take them...

Many people assume that if they're vaccinated, they are immune to the disease they are vaccinated against. What they don't understand is that they are actually only around 90% immune (the number varies depending on the vaccine), and that the true "immunity" comes from EVERYONE getting vaccinated. Once everyone has 90+% immunity to a certain disease, the chances of anyone getting it become microscopic - and the chances of an actual outbreak become virtually impossible.

While I agree information should be available, and that Big Pharma shouldn't be solely responsible for vaccinations (they aren't by the way, the government still has a say), we NEED to make sure everyone is getting vaccinated - too many people are dying who shouldn't.

Thanks Obama

Statement 1 response: no man’s sky was also in alpha stages when it first came out, but it was actually pretty good once the creators started updating the game (vaccines get more updates than no man’s sky)

Statement 2 response: actually, mercury doesnt affect you in small quantities (it can actually be good), and you can find some of those “toxic” metals even in the most natural fruits (a.k.a the fruits that doña pancha sells)

Statement 3 response: Its kinda weird since measles is nearly non existent in mexico (yes, im L A T I N O)

And for this, can you rely on officials who are on the big pharma payroll?? See the scandal about MMR? Nobody EVER said vaccines were useless or that you should avoid getting vaccines. It's the combination of the 3 in 1 along with aluminum that can cause problems for babies if they get vaccines when too young, as their immune system is not mature and does not respond to the vaccine in a desirable way.

*Wrong* Go ahead and provide some sort of proof to back up that opinion.

Since big pharma wants to push their combined vaccines, they keep telling BS with the complicity of the media. I am NOT against vaccines, I got vaccined when I was a child (even got really sick because some ***** gave me 2 shots of the same vaccine...), but if I am to be vaccined, I DEMAND that it be the safest possible and that I get some RELIABLE information and not the usual BS from the PR spin doctors in the pharma companies or officials, or the media. Look *carefully* for the story behind Andrew Wakefield, and ask yourself some questions... Believe me, it's worth it...!

You're right about Wakefield, he was paid to fabricate data to smear multivariant vaccines (3 in 1 MMR) so that he could push a competitor's single dose vaccines. It was a corporate hitjob on another company and Wakefield was more than happy to be paid to use his MD degree to get the paper published. The falsified findings in that paper have since been independently disproven quite a few times, the paper retracted by the journal and Wakefield has lost his license to practice medicine.

Alot of y'all seem to try and argue the data. The data is skewed in the direction of who ever is funding it! There are major inconsistencies with the data from the CDC and the FDA regarding vaccine info. Research yourself. Think about it this way, when big pharma almost went non existent in the 80s for the Mercury content lawsuits, they lobbied the government to create a vaccine court to limit the monetary liabilities to big pharma..kinda like tax court for the irs. (Hmm, interesting coincidence) They capped it at $250k. Your kid has a seizure from a vaccine (more common than you'd think) and is now partially brain dead. You get $250k and the added joy of caring for an invalid on your own. Your kid dies from a vaccine, you get $250k (see the FDA for clinical results broken down by maker and drug for deaths per capita). So to summarize, doctors not swearing Hippocratic oath to do no harm, vaccine court to protect them, how are they not legal drug pushers in big pharmas pocket pushing the latest designer drug? Ever notice when you have an ailment, how quick the doctors are to pull out that pad and start writing "we can try this drug and see if this helps" instead of actually performing their duty. Scary.

If any human actually researched how vaccines are made and what they inject you with, I'm convinced no logical person would submit without alot more long term empirical data and someone to be personally and financially responsible for these "forced" armchair quarterback plays!

Ever notice how you get a "free" flu shot and it makes you sick? Then your back at the doctors office where he's raping your insurance again and prescribing more medications and your the guinea pig suffering with lost work and feeling like crap when all you had to do was wash your hands alot more often and clean up after yourself! Which is what has been told for years as the BEST way to prevent illnesses.

Reading, experience and logic people are our best teachers, do not ignore yours for a threatened approach by a legal drug dealer.

Vaccines have risks like any drug. It is not false. If you do not know the risks then you uneducated and just buying into the hype. I am not say people should not get vaccinated. There are risks to not get also. You just can’t limit free speech on this issue because of matter of truth.

YouTube could label video, but many people don’t care what big corporations say is true. They have obviously bias politically and towards advertisers.

Trustworthy news will never exist on your country because it is business to max profit and influence political agenda (also for their personal gains)

Vaccines have risks like any drug. It is not false. If you do not know the risks then you uneducated and just buying into the hype. I am not say people should not get vaccinated. There are risks to not get also. You just can’t limit free speech on this issue because of matter of truth.

YouTube could label video, but many people don’t care what big corporations say is true. They have obviously bias politically and towards advertisers.

Trustworthy news will never exist on your country because it is business to max profit and influence political agenda (also for their personal gains)
This is the problem society faces.... people like you who like to point out "truths" without evidence... and then the average fools see a reason not to vaccinate.

Yes there are risks to vaccinations - there are risks to EVERYTHING! I could get hit by a car walking across the street to fill a drug prescription...

As a responsible citizen, when telling someone about risks, you need to inform them about the risks of the action - and the RISK OF INACTION!!

Yes, there might be a 1-in-1,000,000 chance of complication with a certain vaccine - but the risk of complication WITHOUT TAKING THE VACCINE are far higher!

Same with my walk to the drug store... yes, I have a 1-in-1,000,000 chance of getting hit by a car... but I also have a far higher chance of death by not filling my prescription (assuming it's an important drug).

Be responsible please - it's stuff like your post that scares people into not vaccinating - which doesn't just put them at risk, it puts ALL OF US at risk!

Back